Spark Plugs

Guest Mr Miller

Guest Mr Miller

What do knackered spark plugs look like when you pull the lead off them?

I am having trouble in getting the one that may be suspect out from the block and was wondering if you clever, clever peeps could shed some light for me?

You know the score, any help will be muchos appreciated - pish taking will be tolerated...and expected! :wink:

Cheers, dudes!

:D

its hard to tell visually if a plug is duff unless all the electrode is burnt away but thats on the inside

sometimes you get brown/black burn marks on the white bit which means they are getting too hot but apart from that its hard to tell by just looking at it!!!

Guest Mr Miller

I've found a site that shows the different faults that ocurr and how they look....but I couldn't remove the plug with the tool at me dad's.....and not having a torque wrench, I would have had to do a half-arsed attempt at it!

I'm resigning myself to taking her in and getting her looked at!

Hey ho!

.....unless........would riding her to........ oh, I don't know....let's say......HULL....on 3 cylinders do her much damage?! :wink:

Guest Mr Miller

I went to see her tonight to turn her over and see if a gentle tickle would free up the possibly sticking float....but she wouldn't start! :(

The battery was showing 11.6v so I'm hoping she's just pished-off with me for leaving her under a blanket for a month while I recovered from a nasty outbreak of dermatitis on my hands!

Now I'm back at work, I'll get her booked in for a carb strip and balance maybe and see if they just tell me they've put in 4 new plugs and charge me ½ an hour's labour!

..................ah well, I can always dream! :wink:

Thanks for the kind offer again, Stu! :thumb:

You got a tow bar on that car of yours? You could tow that tool wardrobe of yours!

Guest Mr Miller

Hull to my house = 80 miles - you pick up bike on trailer.

My house to Hull in your car another 80 miles.

You fettle & fix, I buy you your meals (and by that, I mean a sarnie from Tesco's.....or I'll get Mrs. Miller to make you a cheese & pickle buttie!)

I get an 80 mile stress-free ride home on a beautifully running bike! I get photo taken showing my big, grinning mug and I post it for all to see on here!

:wink:

Guest Mr Miller

Right - Update!

Using my new 12mm spark plug gizmo, I removed the suspect spark plug, back into HT lead, fire her up.....lovely spark!

So back in goes the plug, back on goes the HT lead, fire her up and bingo....after a bit, all 4 downpipes are muchos hot! Woo Hoo! :D

Me and me dad are stood there basking in the sunshine, feeling a little bit smug that we've 'fixed' her! I'm debating whether to get togged up and take her for a quick spin when we notice that the downpipe opposite 'dodgy' spark plug is cooling down! :shock:

Two rather crestfallen Mr. Miller's standing their scratching their heads!

After a bit of tweaking and fixing, we discover that the HT lead doesn't fit onto the spark plug very reassuringly - there isn't a definite feeling of it being a tight fit. I could easily pull the lead off the plug but plug no 4's lead was a much tighter fit!

If the plug was 'loose' in the HT lead, would this cause the plug to sometimes spark and sometimes not spark?

I'm hoping that I already know the answer to this....but maybe I've shead a little more light on the problem.

Over to you guys!....................

:cheers:

i dont know a great deal about sparkplugs :) but i know a little bit. if you think you have knackered your sparkplug. unplug it. sit it back in the cover touch it to something metal and press your elec ignition. wear rubber gloves. they help. :P. a knackered spark plug can mean multiple things. the sparker might even be flat in which case it might not be setting a spark when you press the button. or it could be really dirty. other than that soz i cant help more :)

GL finding out whats wrong

If the plug was 'loose' in the HT lead, would this cause the plug to sometimes spark and sometimes not spark?

Yes, in the same way that a loose wire will periodically make and break a connection, same will happen with your HT lead and plug.

I like there to be a definite click when fitting the plug cap. Every poor connection in the high tension part of the ignition means the spark has to jump it. By the time it gets to the plug it may be too tired. A weak spark may cause a mis fire then the plug gets wet then down goes that cylinder.

For fitting and removing spark plugs I find a deep socket is best. Some socket sets come with a rubber lined one specificaly for plugs. 8-)

Guest Mr Miller

Cheers guys! :cheers:

With this being my first foray into spark plugs, I was a little surprised that the HT lead came off really easily and went back on with no 'click,' 'clunk,' or even Star Trek approved 'fshhhhht!'

My dad found in his tool box one of the little adaptors that you screw over the threaded end!....but that made it too big!

I haven't yet perused my manual.......or Ebay but do HT leads come seperately or do you buy something that resembles half an octupus?

Am I best to replace all plugs and all leads, just the one lead (if appropriate) and 'offending' plug or just the one dodgy lead?!?!

I know!........so many questions!!! :wink:

As I have said before - I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out! It's all going in the memory banks for me to use again if needed or to pass on to my offspring!

Thank you from the heart of my bottom! :wink:

:D

Guest Mr Miller

I had it in my head that you replace all 4 plugs as a set!

Plug caps - the bit the smaller threaded end of the plug fits into? So I may not need to replace the whole lead?! Hmmmmmm, interesting!

I bet you'll tell me that I need to remove the petrol tank next! Hmmmmm, worrying! :shock:

depends on the clearance, id check that the caps are screwed tightly onto the leads, and give a nice click when put on the plugs.. if you can get to the plugs with out removing the tank, and twist the caps off again without removing the tank, or even by removing the seat, sliding the tank back a little (ensuring its still stable...) the do that, its what i have too..

if there is no "click" when you push the plug cap on and you have rubber plug caps take a pair of long nose pliers to around plug cap and squeeze the matel clip thats inside so its a tighter fit :wink:

only squeeze it a bit at a time and recheck it on the plug

if they are hard plastic ones then buy a new set of caps :)

Guest Mr Miller

Another update, mates..........

The very kind bike doctor has lent me a new spark plug cap to see if it cures the problem of the not-firing cylinder!

I tried the old plug in the new cap against the engine and got a spark, so reassembled everything and she fired up ok! She sounded to be running quite smoothly and all the downpipes were getting toasty.............for about 5 mins! :(

I tried this a few times but to no avail - I'm thinking now that the problem lies in where you screw the plug cap onto the end of the HT lead! It was suggested that I nip off the end of the HT lead to ensure a nice clean fit.....but there's not enough free-play in the lead for me to easily do this. What with the information on my 'Petrol Tank Removal' posts - not having tools, nor ability - I'm looking at replacing it!

Now, seeing the mechanic will have the tank off in a jiffy and will be fiddling with one of the leads - is it best to replace all 4 leads or replace all 4 leads & spark plugs.

Bugger it! Do I do all the spark plugs as well?

I very nearly, almost.....thought I'd sorted it!........gutted! :cry: