Talking OnBike Video (split from Track Day Discussion)

Guest philgale

Guest philgale

try editing this again and hope my computer doesnt throw a wobbler....

thought this deserved its own place as some people interested wont see it if there not interested in traack days

">

">

">

">

its only a cheap aee md80 off ebay, can get them from hong kong for about a fiver, got mine from the uk with a metal body for about 50 i think.

gonna look at getting a go pro hero soon, there a bit better for messing around with angles

this was filmed by alex whos got a go pro, better quality and some funky angles too

">

Ah ok, yeah I'm thinking of getting a better camera soon for mine as well. I like the look of the Contour HDs:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/images/Ahighslides/contourhd/contour-hd-camera.png

Here's a sample video from one:

">

compared to the quality on my camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgWMSxXlM8s

(although I think that one was kinda just ruined by compressing it for youtube)

Yeah I'm undecided whether to go for the Go Pro HD or go for the Contour HD - the Go Pro seems to get slightly better reviews but costs more and looks uglier n I think its a bit bigger/heavier

EDIT: After looking at some more example videos on youtube and reading more reviews, I think the GoPro HD is the one to get... the audio quality is so much better than all of the competition (pretty much no wind noise at 70 mph!), and the video quality is the same or better. I just wish it wasnt so ugly and cheap looking! Its like they modelled it on the cheapest and worst digital camera they could find. I mean how stupid do you look with one stuck to your helmet:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/images/Ahighslides/gopro-hd/gopro-hd-helmet-hero/HD-Helmetpp-big.jpg

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/images/Ahighslides/gopro-hd/gopro-hd-helmet-hero/hd-hero-on-helmet-big.jpg

compared to the Contour HD or a normal bullet cam:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/images/vari-bullet/varifocal-bullet.jpg

Guest philgale

ill be getting a go pro in the near future, not the HD as i dont see the point, your gonna stick it on youtube anyway so the normal one is good enough.

ill be getting a go pro in the near future, not the HD as i dont see the point, your gonna stick it on youtube anyway so the normal one is good enough.

Well youtube can handle HD footage now :) plus even if you dont upload it in HD, it is still much better quality (and I do like my quality) than the standard ones. I still cant decide which to go for though, the Contour HD's price tag and size/appearance is making me sway that way a bit more now. Guess it just depends what mood im in when it comes to pay day next week :)

Guest philgale

iv been thinking about these HD cameras, and my view is get the normal gopro, found one for 114 quid. then you have near 200 quid saved to spend on actually getting out on track :twisted:

that 200 would be a day at oulton in summer or 2 or 3 days early season.

after all your buying the camera so you can film track days so IMO makes more sense getting the cheaper one that more than does the job and spend the rest on track days so you can actually film :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean, but I really like putting together little videos and enjoy general video production/editing so I'd rather have good quality footage to work with. Even so, I cant justify spending £300 on a GoPro HD so I'm gonna just go for the Contour HD as it will still be a lot better than my current camera :)

Its £224 for the 720p Contour HD which is what I am after - I know the GoPro is 1080p so its understandable that its more expensive, but I just prefer the size and appearance of the Contour and as its cheaper as well, it makes sense to go for that.

Well I went ahead and bought the Contour HD 720 today, should arrive on saturday :)

Got them to do me a decent deal: Camera + 2 spare batteries (so 3 in total) + spare sticky pads + 8 GB memory card for £250

Considering the camera alone is £225 on the website, I think thats quite good :P

Well my camera came yesterday... but I was asleep! So it didnt get signed for and therefore didnt get delivered :( Shame as I was out on the bike quite a bit this weekend and it was nice n sunny (freezing though, but you cant tell that on video :P)

Going to see if I can pick it up on the way to work tomorrow but wont be able to use it until next weekend so it better be nice weather! Then its my 2 track days at cadwell the weekend after that so hopefully I will have figured out how to use it etc by then :)

Went out at the weekend with the new camera, its really good video quality but the audio is just killed by the massive amount of wind noise. Here's an example but its no where near full quality (or full size) cos it was going to take 6 hours to upload to youtube in its original quality! It was originally 700 MB and I've shrunk it down to 50 MB so I think the quality is pretty good considering how much smaller the file is now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAW5CwQuS6E

Guest philgale
Here's an example but its no where near full quality (or full size) cos it was going to take 6 hours to upload to youtube in its original quality! It was originally 700 MB and I've shrunk it down to 50 MB so I think the quality is pretty good considering how much smaller the file is now...

thats the problem with youtube, no point in HD cameras IMO if its going on youtube....good for yourself when watching it at home tho...

cant wait to see some track footage, you at cadwell next weekend?

Yeah I know what you mean, but its a lot better quality than my last camera even on youtube so im happy with that :) and if I make any decent videos I'll probably just leave them uploading overnight if they are gonna take ages to upload in good quality.

Yeah cadwell track days this weekend (both days) and I'll certainly get some footage from that (so you can laugh at how many people overtake me) :) just hoping the weather is as nice as it is today, its bone dry here!

Hmm been thinkin of cameras myself lately, but ive found the one i want. its fullHD and only 120£, just a camcorder tho but its really thin.

its a JVC picsio. very good quality, and has its own youtube software. so uploading is simple

heres a good vid

">

Just got back from day 2 at cadwell, didnt film much today cos it was raining for the majority of it. I'll edit it up, get it on youtube n post it here shortly though :) Not too impressed with the camera so far, it cut one of the clips short by about 10 mins for no apparent reason... battery wasnt dead, SD card wasnt full, it just stopped filming half way through one of the sessions. Thinking of getting a refund and getting the GoPro HD instead but I'll see if the place I got it from (dogcamsport.co.uk) are willing to trade it like that first.

Guest philgale

good quality vid that chris, my gopro hero arrived today. tried it on the bike to see where it would be best mounting it but not actually mounted anything yet.

will get it on for saturday and video all sessions with different angles...