Storing the bike

Bill_on_a_bike

So I'm buggering off to Uni on sunday and for the time being i'm not taking the bike. I'm going to store it in my grandma's garage which she doesn't use.

Anyway, my plan was to drop the fuel out of the tank and the carbs, take the air filter off and shoot some carb cleaner in there to stop jets blocking up ect. I was also going to get the battery out and keep it in the house to stop it getting too cold.

The GS it seems has a different fueling system to the SR though, I have "on" "prime" and "off" , prime as opposed to off. I'm not sure what prime does but I imagine i'd set it there when I refil the with fuel at christmas. How do I stop fuel coming out of the tank, long enough for me to get the fuel hose off the carb and pointed at a container so I can get the fuel out of the tank?

Also, is there anything else I should consider doing storing the bikes for about 2 months in dry, but potentially cold conditions?

i had to do some work on the fuel line before on my MX bike. its quite simple even if you just squeeze the tip of the pipe and get a bowl under it as quickly as possible or funnel to get the fuel away from the engine. ifnot set it to off. turn the kill switch so the engine doesnt start and give it a few kicks. i believe that will get any excess fuel out the engine. or it will try anyway. you might wanna think about the oil aswell. not that it will go as bad as the petrol if left. but just on the off chance it does go funny :)

crimp the fuel line with a brakeline clamp, couple of quid from halfords, or a bull dog clip... my bandit tank wouldn't empty with the lines off, it needed an overpressure from the carbs ... you may find the same... this way it is only ON when the engine is running, theres enough in the line to start the bike..

raise the bike on the centre stand and prop the front so the weight is off the wheels, spray the engine and zorst with wd40, fuel should be ok, have laid bikes up for 4months without problems, lube chain, and remove battery.

came home fitted battery and fired the bike up.. little smoke from the WD burning off, but no majors

you could add a little oil into the cylinders and crank the engine over without the plugs, but overkill, unless your letting it stand for a long length of time..

i'd change the oil and filter prior to getting it out of hibernation..

i'd put the bike on centrestand and put a jack or someone sit on the back whilst you put some blocks of wood under the frame. just enough to lift the front wheel off the ground.. unless you have front and rear stands.. even axle stands under the frame..

if you wash the bike, when bringing it to life again, you'll remove the WD40 so no smokey engine.. Pledge the plastics...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, l had to take my Bimota in for a service after draining down and and covering it up for the winter, on filling it up with fresh fuel ready for its first outing it ran like a 3 legged horse. On stripping the carbs float chambers, you would on though it had been wintered in salt water. The guy in the workshop later told me, draining the system is the worst thing you can do,. Better to start it up now and again and run the engime up to tempreture until the fan cuts in, this get all the moisture out of the engine oil and runs fresh fuel through the system. Been doing this ever since with no prob's. I'm with Colin on this one, just keep the battery on charge and the bike well locked up

Hi

For two months, it isn't really a big deal, I have things in the shed that have sat for 2 years or more now ocasionally turning the engine, is all that is needed in my eyes, for internal explosion powered machines. I would fill petrol tank up full, save water condensation forming, petrol shouldn't go sour in 2 months, if you are worried use some additive. Give it a good wash, and pump the tyres up a notch or two, to prevent mishaping, flat spots etc.

Then put a nappy near the electrics, this will draw the moisture away, and into the nappy, you could allways ask your gran to change the nappy every now and again! You will have to explain it though! hehe

Cheers

Dave

Show Grandma Bill how to spin the old gal up so she can let it run for 5 minutes every couple of weeks! That'll keep things in order!

worst thing you can do is start an engine for 5 mins or so while its stored

it causes condensation in the engine which mixes with the oil, the bike wont get warm enough to get rid of the condensation!

park the bike up inflate tyres to correct preassure put it on paddock stands to get the tyres off the floor drain the carbs fill the tank full of fuel or drain the tank ( fuel is better as it will stop the tank rusting )

to be honest 2 months isnt a long time