Failed my CBT yesterday

Haven't ridden a bike before and while my NSR 125 is still in the shop I took the CBT. Really enjoyed it at first but after a while the 3 hours sleep and work the night before was starting to take it's toll. I kept getting frustrated and annoyed with myself and my concentration slipped. I started stalling a lot and making shaky U-turns. I managed to do all the maneuvers in practice but messed up royal when we went out on the road.

Was fine round a roundabout and down the road then came to a traffic lights and stalled. I missed the turn and he said to carry on (straight) but I thought he meant carry on with the turn and I went in right. Stalled again in the turn but luckily nothing happened. Could have been a lot worse than hurting my pride.

I feel like I would be fine out on the roads if I was just by myself and that's why I was getting frustrated. Obviously I can't go and practice without a CBT and I'm running low on cash now. I am the kind of person who likes to practice until I get it right but I can't do that without being on the road and that has a lot of danger at my level. Body is hurting all over now after work and the CBT and I can't walk, and mentally I feel pretty drained and stressed. Not sure how to get around this.

I'm going to try and persevere and hopefully book another CBT later in the week. Has anyone had experience like this? I know I can do it but I can see I'm not quite ready yet, but I don't know how to be ready, if that makes any sense? :?

I failed my first CBT too, dont worry about it. I went back 2 days later for a small fee (half price £60). The reason I failed was because I had never riden or droive a car before so my clutch control was non exsistant, The Instructor told me to just take my time and stop thinking about what im doing and just do it, I know it sound silly but when I got into that mind set it really helped.

Just remember whenever you stop go into first and when you are pulling away dont be afraid of the throttle, give it plenty of power but control the power with the clutch and then you wont stall.

Good luck witht the next go mate, Dont be put off by the one bad experience just put it down to a leaning curve and you'll be fine!

The reason I failed was because I had never riden or drove a car before so my clutch control was non exsistant, The Instructor told me to just take my time and stop thinking about what im doing and just do it, I know it sound silly but when I got into that mind set it really helped.

That's pretty much what is was for me, too. I know clutch control comes with time but my instructor kept telling me to ease off the throttle more so I was doing it too much and stalling. The throttle was sensitive and I started going at it quite fast. I found slow speed control tricky, of course, and my left bends on U-turns really gave me some trouble. Other than the skill it was my road knowledge and trying to remember to do everything. I would keep thinking about one thing and forget something else. Mirror checks, lifesavers and indicators started to hassle me since I was trying to think about clutch and gear changes and slowing down properly. I'm not ready yet and I know that now but I was pressuring myself into getting it done.

I will hopefully go back in a few days and ask to have some practice on slow speed U-turns, clutch control/stalling and do a load of junction practicing with mirror checks etc. After that, as long as I do some reading on the highway code, I think I should be able to do better. Just the nerves and pressure!

Yeah that's the problem I was having too, thinking about too many things at once. After a little practice it all just clicks if you know what I mean. Just relax, look where you want to go and you'll be fine. I don't think I could even do a figure of 8 when I did my CBT but he said because he had seen me do it when I was just practicing on the car park he said it was probably just nerves when I had someone watching me.

I can only repeat what others have said already; relax.

Further down this page is my message of despair leading up to my final bike test. Having passed, I'm much more relaxed though I'm still observing most of the aspects of my test training.

My wife had an appalling lesson this weekend and was preparing to jack it all in. I told her to ride like the Fonz instead of Richie Cunningham and she was much better yesterday and this morning on the commute to work.

We need now need to get her to stop saying "Heyyyy" every time she does a head-check.

Best of luck next time Anton.

i was under the impression you couldn't "fail" the CBT!

it's training! not a test, you just need more training!

however!, treat it with the respect it deserves!

don't try to do it after 3 hours sleep!

If you've paid for it once you shouldn't have to pay again IMO,

maybe for the bike hire but that's all.

Go for it again!, when not tired and remember!

It's meant to be fun! :lol:

Just came back from my second shot.

Passed! :up:

Spent half an hour in the cage before start to get used to the bike and clutch again and then we went on the road. I cut into the right hand lane on a roundabout when I was going straight on and he gave me a good grilling about it, then we went and did it a few dozen more times and I was fine. Finished with some minor turn-ins and the emergency stop and u-turn - let's go back to the unit!

Chuffed. Just gotta get my own bike back from the shop later on and I'll be off.

Was much better when I relaxed... just hard to chill when you need to keep telling yourself!