Module one advice- speed on a 125!

Hi,

Had my first attempt on sunday at module one- annoyingly I failed! I stopped in the box after the swerve but there was too much of the front of the bike in there too, I knew I had done it wrong straight away lol Im so annoyed as I never did this during training but nevermind! Next attempt all booked.

My first attempt at the swerve I had it going lovely, swerved nicely and stopped in the box as you are supposed to (lol)- but it didnt read my speed :roll: :damn: he said to treat it as a practice, which completely threw me lol anyway trouble was on the first recorded (well my second go) I only reached 49km/h and did the same speed with the emergency stop speed.

Everything else on the test was fine, would have had 0 faults if I had braked harder of course. I just need to find 1 extra km/h lol

Out of 8 people that day, 1 passed. 4 had hit a cone, and my other half failed for being 1km/h too slow on the emergency stop- but second attempt he fluffed his gears and lost speed.

As I said in the title, Im doing it on a yamaha sr125 and I find it really difficult to get it up to the 50km/h needed in the shortish space, I need to go faster on the corner I think but was wondering if anyone has any good tips about cornering it better? I know Im going to stop properly this time so its just the speed thats worrying me.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Claire

Its sooo much easier to do it on a 500 lol They dont have to worry about getting up to speed at all!

very true. I guess you could go round the corner at about 25mph then least you will come out of the corner at a fast pace ready to open the throttle full, ive only done it on a 500 so i cant say for sure whats best but some one on here will have done it on a 125

I think thats part of my problem- the corner isnt brilliant for getting a lot of speed up, more a confidence issue I suppose :?

Yeah ya could be rite, its not as tho you can practice on a mod1 course either.

I walked around the course before i took the test to see it and judge the surface for the swerve etc

just found this advice, maybe some use??

!The actual test itself isnt that difficult however I believe there is and will continue to be an issue for some people in getting up to the required speed. Not so much on a DAS bike as you have enough power to accellerate hard out of the turn before the speed trap. On a 125 it could be a bit hard as if you dont carry enough speed round the bend then it will be impossible to gain enough before the speed trap. We have found that 2nd gear for both DAS and 125 seems to work but on the 125 it means the poor little engine is screaming its nuts off and you will likely be almost scraping your foot round the curve!

.................................................................................................................................................................

!Woohoo.... I passed my mod 1 today on a 125cc bike - the thing to do is razz it round in 2nd gear - your bike will scream at you but it has more chance than in 3rd gear of getting the speed - and whatever you do don't look at the speedo, look ahead of you. I failed last time in 3rd gear and coz I was looking at the speedo - this time I passed and I ignored the speedo and did it in 2nd. It was also wet and I had managed to monumentally crash - bike was nearly a write-off - doing a practice emergency stop just an hour earlier. So if I can do it SO CAN YOU!!!!!!! (and I'm just a wussey girl!) !

Try to do the curve at 20mph minimum and keep it in 2nd gear then as you are coming upright in the straight open it right up, still keep in 2nd gear. I passed my Mod1 on a Yammy YBR 125 and found this the perfect method. As above ignore the speedo and listen for the revs. A bit of practise somewhere doing this and you will be able to tell from the noise of the engine that you are going fast enough.

Throttle right off when you have passed the blue cone and you should be able to come to a controlled stop ok.

Yeah keep it in a lower gear, a 125 has all its power in the top end of the revs, so if its around 5-6k in the corner your at a perfect place to floor it and get some speed up quicker.

All true:

I did Mod 1 on a 125 Varadero (150kg and a full tank) and got 50km in swerve and 51km in emergency stop without feeling like I was revving the nuts off. 2nd in the bend at about 20-25 and open up when you come out lots of space to swerve and stop but don't look at the speedo.

Andy