Life savers, and when to do them

Guest Chris92

I plan to take my practical test soon and i'm still not 100% certain on when i'm supposed to do lifesavers..

So, for example if i turn left i do:

Mirror check, indicate, life saver, position, lifesaver turn?

Also im supped to do them once i've stopped, is this just at a junction/traffic lights or all the time (what about in stop and go traffic!) Also...its both left and right shoulder checks?

And again at roundabouts, if i go straight over do i do a left or right life saver?

I know this sounds silly but i want to be 100% for the test, i do as many as possible now but i dont want to be doing too many either...

Also if you've got a link that would be helpfull :D

I'm looking at getting a few lessons to brush up as well.

Thanks.

Chris.

Everytime you adjust anyting to do with riding, mirrors, slowing down, speeding up, changing lanes (before and after signaling). Thats what my instructor told me to do when I do my mod 2 soon, also exagerate them too so the examiner can see that you are definatley doin em.

Well yeah but if i keep doing them i end up looking behind a bit too much which puts me off riding hence why i was worried about doing too many.

turns out my cbt instructor only does the 5day course costing £650 which i certainly cannot afford (or need TBH).

Ill keep looking online!

Yeah i've been looking at that website recently mate,

i've started to get in a good habbit of plenty of lifesavers and mirror checks with out over cooking them (well in most cases)

Don't forget to do them whenever you perceive a hazard. Any time you see a triangular road sign, any time you see a change in speed limit, any time you see a possible hazard, school, mud on road, before approaching a series of tight bends, when following a tax, audi, bmw, mercedes or female. ;)

Don't forget to do them whenever you perceive a hazard. Any time you see a triangular road sign, any time you see a change in speed limit, any time you see a possible hazard, school, mud on road, before approaching a series of tight bends, when following a tax, audi, bmw, mercedes or female. ;)

Do you mean mirror checks or lifesavers? Remember that giving too many lifesavers can be a bad thing as you're taking your eyes off the road ahead everytime.

As a general rule for the test give a lifesaver everytime there could be something in your blindspot, and you intend to move into it.

Do you mean mirror checks or lifesavers? Remember that giving too many lifesavers can be a bad thing as you're taking your eyes off the road ahead everytime.

As a general rule for the test give a lifesaver everytime there could be something in your blindspot, and you intend to move into it.

Oh yeah it's mirror checks for hazards. Damn I need to get out on my bike more.

I was told to do a lifesaver whenever I intend to change direction. If a signal is necessary then do your 'mirror, signal, lifesaver, manoeuvre' procedure.

Going straight ahead on a roundabout - when riding onto the roundabout, you'll usually bank left to get into your lane first before leaning right to get around the curve of the roundabout. I was told to do a left lifesaver just before entering the roundabout, then another one to the left before exiting or changing your position on the roundabout. Keeping half an eye open for straight-liners coming from your right as you go round can't hurt either.

(I'm not a know-it-all and I'm not pretending to be really experienced, I just remember specifically asking my instructor that exact question about lifesavers and roundabouts, that's the answer he gave)