not running right?!

skatefreak

Hey,

So i have a single piston 125 here and its running funny, not playing ball atall :|

The bikes never missed a beat but has been out in the rain for a bit so i got on the bike today to get to the shop to buy a cover and on the way there anywhere Below 4k revs and it was spluttering and complaining. I got there in the end though and after asking about it they said its probably just the cold etc...

So on the way home (was only there for 10 mins) i rode back and carried on for a bit but the problem was a little worse but for some strange reason when the engine was revving higher or uphill loading the engine it would splutter and slow the bike untill i put it in a lower gear and it would splutter a little less but still pull the bike...

It sounds from what i'v read on a few posts here like it may be a miss firing issue and i filled her up on my way back (just around the corner though) so i'm thinking of taking the plug out, seeing if its "wet" (not to likely on a single piston 125 that idles fine haha), cleaning it and will take it out again.

Any other thoughts on the matter though would be much appreciated :)

Best regards

-Jvr

Water down your exhaust pipe? Sounds like what used to happen when I cleaned my first bike and chucked a bucket of water over it. Didn't realise until I'd washed it about 3 times that water was getting down the zorst and it would be lumpy for a while when first riding. If it is that then just ride it longer and the exhaust will boil off the water eventually. What you said about being OK at high revs sounds about right. I'd open mine up and it'd grumble a bit but as the revs wound up it'd suddenly lurch forward and be off...until I changed gear!

If you're keeping it outside just keep a cover on it. Whenever I wash my bike I put a sandwich bag over the cans and cable tie them on.

Hey,

Well, your right, the bikes out there in the rain but the exhaust has a pointy down bit towards the end, i bought a cover yesterday but sadly i somewhat dont think this is the problem to be honest :(

Went out for a ride today though and learnt a lot more about the problem :|

Here's a little write up on my observations from today which was about a 25'ish minute ride...

When cold: (first portion of the ride, maybe first 7-10 minutes)

-Not to bad, splutters occasionally around 4k and a little at higher rpm.

-Sounds just fine accept when spluttering.

Warms up: (from about 10-15 minutes in)

-splutters a little more often, a little more irratically at any RPM and jolts.

-loses power and gets it back, accelerating slowly jerkily, sometimes decelerating and more throttle doesnt help.

-Sounds okay accept when spluttering, when it becomes more splutter than running smoothly it almost sounds like when pushing the

engine uphill in a gear to high.

when its been riding for a while and heated up: (the last 5 minutes i attempted to ride the bike before stopping for 10 minutes to let her cool and then rode home which was 5 minutes away and interestingly enough the bike rode like it did in the firs 10 minutes of the ride again (cold day in the rain could account for the bike cooling quickly)

-If it accelerates its very jerky power surging

-eventually engine refuses to go over 4000RPM even out of gear...

-When engine is refusing to go anywhere more throttle just makes the engine sound louder but does not result in any change to the

engine rpm nore does it relieve the simptoms, it just carries on jerking and not accelerating making more noise than at a lower throttle

Overall, I have to say that for anything more than a 5-10 minute ride i dont think i would risk it and am concerned more damage may be done to the engine so tomorow i'm going to take the bike down to a honda place (suspect the engine is a CG copy anywho) and have a chat with them.

My options as i see them are give the bike to them and let them do some exploritory investigating which may be the most sensible approach but being a skint student (unlike the ones in the paper recently, i never go out or even have a TV/liscence heh) this is my last option as meerly diagnosing the problem could cost a fair bit in comparison with the value of the bike and or a new engine for it!

Second option would be to get the engine out and have little look myself, i couldnt say i know a terrible amount about 4st petrol engines but i know pretty much everything there is to know about 2st R/C heli engines though years of hobby addiction and taking into account the defferences in the engines am fairly confident i would notice anything obviously broken/exessivly worn (piston rings/bearings/sleves etc). However this option would require expenditure on tools, time and taking abuse for filling the lounge with engine!

I am just about to start rooting around to find out how much a new engine will cost, this will play a big part in weather i will consider letting the honda people look at it or diy... I have a feeling the engines arnt to pricey.

Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated!

Best regards

-chris Jvr