salvation army manchester motorbike toyrun, new route update

Guest simplesolutions

hi everyone.

just to let you all know its the annual salvation army toyrun this weekend saturday 7th november. but its route has now been changed, we are not going thru the city center as was the case in previous years and we now dont have any police motorcycle cops in attendance nor do we have any involvement of the manchester city council. the route will now take us from the meeting point which is the showcase cinemas at hyde road gorton manchester. along hyde road to ardwick green, down to the mancunian way, over the mancunian way to chester road, along chester road passed stretford arndale turning right at barton road and along there to reach the trafford centre.

its my opinion this route will be a wash out as it does nothing for what we are striving to acheive.

the mancunian way is dangerous at the best of times with cars hurtling along at plus 50mph. couple this with no cops and its a recipe for disaster.

if this was anything to do with gay pride the city council would be literally bending over backwards to do all they can to help but as we only raised £5000 last year from around 750 bikers for needy children to give them toys for christmas we get nothing, what is this country coming to, this is the only country in the world that doesn't look after its own, but everyone else gets priorority first.

all the best guys from derek in whally range manchester. 8-)

Sell it baby, sell it :roll:

Sorry, but that post is so negative that I dont think I would bother coming anyway... and it probs will be a washout..

How about looking on the brightside and making the best out of a bad situation, its a bunch of bikers, getting on their bikes and doing summat for charity... gotta be good right? :mrgreen:

If you police it right yourself, ie have people with they orange vests on, who can place themselves correctly to stop traffic and see everyone thru safely (we did this on one of our big runs) you should be fine.. enjoy :)

just to update you about the toyrun.

as the police have said to the salvation army management and i quote " its illeagal even for the police to stop traffic since they say a new law was passed in 2004, but they have provided this cover in previous years.

its my view that because their is nothing in it for the city council they dont want us riding thru the city, as is the case with gay pride and chinese new year celebrations.

yes i am having a pop at the city council because we are still in a free country although somewhat limited nowadays????

yes it is possible to police the event our selves as was the case previously but with the police outriders to stop traffic and then a goldwing marshall would takeover the position of the cop until we had passed by but as its illeagal for anyone to stop the traffic this now presents different challenges,

i have had lots of feedback from other bikers who are of the mind to bypass the mancunian way route and take their own route thru the city centre anyway.

as a fully licensed biker of 42 years i am all for organising things for ourselves but staying within the boundaries of the law

as nowadays its all too easy to fall foul of the law without really trying.

:!: Edited to remove reference to website as it contravenes Forum advertising policy.

simplesolutionstoyourimpossibleproblems :!:

pity you can find a simple solution to your impossible problem.

I've ridden in a demo ride from Barrow in Furness to Carlisle, without the use of Police assistance. as mentioned before hi-vis vests on front and rear riders, and bikes knowing the route and stopping and marking turnings/junctions etc they can return to the head of the group subject to traffic, by overtaking the main body..

i'm sure that a bit of careful planning and common sense would solve this problem, and ensure that the ride goes ahead, and continues next year...

also ensure that marshall are split within the main body so if segregated someone else knows the route and not just the lead bike.. otherwise you could end up in a carpet warehouse carpark, instead of your intended location.

TMBF ran a large number of bikes for a young lad with special needs, bikes from all over the uk, round lincoln and willingham woods, without impinging on road safety and traffic..

To me a Better route would be to stay on the Mancunian way to the end up regent road join the M602 then join the M60 over barton bridge down to the Trafford centre.

or just do a complete lap of Manchester on the M60.

or start at Ikea ashton to the Trafford centre.

or Rivington Barn to trafford centre

The route stated that you are taking doesnt inspire me to jump on my bike. There are loads of options