low revs?

pinki-88

when my bike engine is cold the revs drop down really low and when i close the throttle it sometimes cuts out. this is what caused my off the other day :oops:

is this normal? im thinking its not but i'd like ur guys opinion on it, especially as its only started as the colder weather has set in

is there something i can do about it?

Can only offer you advice from my own experiences...

Firstly, I don't ride on a 'cold' bike. I learnt this very early on when my first bike stalled whilst i was crossing two lanes of traffic ...

Nowadays I make sure it has a wee while to warm up before i set off.Typically characterised by the lenght of time it takes me to drink my coffee and have a smoke in me garage of a morning (door open of course) ....

If your bike still has issues running at tickover, you will have a tickover adjuster, normally situated on one side of the engine or the other. Normally like a little black plastic knob. Give it a tweak .. see what happens ...

Obviously you have checked air filter, amount of fuel etc?? Serviced recently ?? and the like .....

when my bike engine is cold the revs drop down really low and when i close the throttle it sometimes cuts out. this is what caused my off the other day :oops:

is this normal? im thinking its not but i'd like ur guys opinion on it, especially as its only started as the colder weather has set in

use the choke, when its up to temp take it off choke, see choke thread....

use the choke, when its up to temp take it off choke, see choke thread....

:stupid:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26551

Also Dan's point makes sense too. However if it's idling OK when warmed up then just leave the choke on longer.

I use choke for 30 seconds, turn choke down to half way, for about 20 seconds, (in this time i am getting the bike out of the garden) then ill turn or leave the bike on again before i set off before i get helmet/ gloves on. I'll then set off and not give too many revs for a little bit (not long ) this would obv depend on how cold it is...

what does it idle at..? rev counter speed.. you could turn it up slightly,

if it doesn't have a choke??

if its the very cold weather, then speak to a dealer about carb-icing...

have a look in guides manuals section, there is an ER6 manual in there, you might find something useful in that..

no carbs either, fuel injection

the problem is only when the engine is cold. it idles under 1000rpm and it struggles to keep running. when its revved and the the throttle is closed suddenly it will stall. very annoying as i have to wait for it to warm up for ages. def couldnt leave it outside turned on or it would dissapear

no carbs either, fuel injection

the problem is only when the engine is cold. it idles under 1000rpm and it struggles to keep running. when its revved and the the throttle is closed suddenly it will stall. very annoying as i have to wait for it to warm up for ages. def couldnt leave it outside turned on or it would dissapear

there will be a temp sensor, which signals the ECU (engine control unit) for fueling in the cold, an electric choke if you will, could need further investigation...

I have an 07 ER-6f which also has the auto-choke. I find it tends to idle around 3k-3.5k with the choke on in the morning and makes and awful racket. Then, it usually just suddenly drops to the 1200rpm it's supposed to idle at according to the manual. It's not graceful, so it's pretty easy to spot.

For reference to someone with a similar bike; it might be worth noting that mine steams like a bitch when it gets wet. It's all from the radiator but all checks out fine. It's just one of those things, but it really does look like it's on fire (see http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... =3&t=26504)

yeah i noticed the steaming thing. it really freaked me out! :lol:

by what you have told me i def think its idleing to low. when autochokes on its at about 2500rpm which seems fine. then it goes down under 1000rpm if its cold or if its warm it will stay just over 100rpm

Yeah, that sounds low. I would even up mine just a tad if I ever remembered. Looking at the manual now it says 1250-1350 rpm once thoroughly warmed up, so there is your guide since it's essentially the same bike. The adjuster knob is on the right side.

If your tick over is low then it's a simple matter to increase it.

However, the warming up of any motorcycle is a most important part of the preparation to ride procedure.

After your pre ride checks, let the engine run untill it will tick over smoothly and easily. This may take a couple or three minutes. Start the bike before putting your gear on and fastening up.

The nature of a two wheeled vehicle is that it needs the power delivery to be constant, smooth and on demand ,as it becomes part of the steering process. A cough on a mini roundabout or at a junction can cause instability, hesitation or worse.

It takes a lot less time to warm the bike than it does to pick it up and fix it. 8-)