Video- Warped Brake disc easy change

Rod York

"We're going to pretend this is a Screwdriver.. No Sod it! *Disapears*"

Hehe :mrgreen: Favorite bit!

Good video.. I love to be able to see these, makes it easier to copy when i need to do the same :D

:thumb: Thanks for this!

I find loosening the disc bolts slightly while the wheel is on the bike easier.. and you can check warping by spinning the wheel and marking the tyre with chalk where it rests (the caliper will stop the wheel), or lying the disc on something flat, a marble chopping board or against a window, if it rocks, the disc is warped, if not it is fine..

I find loosening the disc bolts slightly while the wheel is on the bike easier.. and you can check warping by spinning the wheel and marking the tyre with chalk where it rests (the caliper will stop the wheel), or lying the disc on something flat, a marble chopping board or against a window, if it rocks, the disc is warped, if not it is fine..

what good ideas- thanks for these!

if its badly warped then you will notice a judder in the forks, glance down when riding..and it will get worse, the easiest tell-tale is to look at the disc any discolouring (rainbow effect) or heavy rusting is a sign that the disc has overheated.. (surface rust in the pad area is normal, and will go with a short ride, and use of the brakes..)

obviously a warped disc will have a detrimental effect on braking..

suzuki's (GSF esp) are known for the pistons inside the calipers sticking if not looked after, this causes the overheating, and makes the bike hard to push, so keep an eye on the calipers, and you should be ok with the discs.

Discs also need changing if past the usable life, (min thickness is stamped on the disc)

another tip, if working on the rear disc, remove the sprocket drive (pulls out) that way your resting on the wheel and rim, not the sprocket..

if working on the front be careful not to put excessive weight onto the opposite disc, if you have a box, sit the wheel over the box, so the weight is taken by the rim/tyre,.. otheriwse you will distort the other disc..

new discs = new pads

Or resting on an old tyre works well. 8-)

I don't have a spare tyre, Colin.. but good thinking.. might have to get hold of one..

Maybe Colin has a spare spare tyre? :P

yes, but maybe I don't want Colin and his spare tyre in my shed....................