Slight engine rattle when cold

MacLean

Hey folks,

Something thats been happening for a while, but now is the only time I've thought about it while being at a computer at the same time

My fzs600 has a bit of a rattling sound to it when I first start her up from cold. It sounds very much like its comming from the top of the engine (cams and valves?) but after a few minutes warm up it starts sounding healthy again and rev-able.

Can't think of how to describe it other than sounding just a very slight tad unhealthy for the first few mins.

Might be something to not really get to bothered about but thought id see what u guys think anyway.

Cheers

Check your oil level.

the oil runs out of the top of the engine when stood, once the engine has been ran for a short while the oil is pumped back up to the top, hence having an oil pump, but keep an eye on the level, its gets worse if the level is low...

My XJR does this when it's due an oil change,this year i have added Trublu oil stabiliser the biles over due a oil change but the rattle has'nt returned

try turning the motor over for a couple of seconds without the choke on,this way the engine wont fire before the oil has made it's way back to the top end.

Could also be your cam chain tensioner. If that's broken then it won't be tensioning the cam chain properly enough which will cause the chain to rattle a bit until the engine warms up when the sound seems to die away. I'd also advise checking the oil level first though as that's easier (not that changing the CCT is hard, it's actually very easy but means buying a new one for about £40 whereas an oil check is free)!

Thanks guys, when I put what yous have said with my problem its kinda 'Ahaaa, ovcourse!'. Gonna get myself new oil and spark plugs as you're right its due a servicing.

And pete if that don't fix it then I shall look into CCT, Thanks!

how many miles are on the clock ?

i cant see it been the can chain tensioner to be honest as it would rattle all the time even when warm

Its only got around 18'000 ish, although it has been thrown down a road at about 30mph :D

Oils the life blood in my opinion,for example my XJR1300 gets a oil change every 3000 miles the book says 6000 i think plus a couple of doses of Trublu so for me that works out about £55 a year,a quid a week isnt bad for piece of mind

i cant see it been the can chain tensioner to be honest as it would rattle all the time even when warm

Its only got around 18'000 ish, although it has been thrown down a road at about 30mph :D

Sounds silly but have you checked to make sure all the fairing screws and similar are tightened up? Or even taken the fairing off to make sure everything underneath is tightened, could even be something like a wire trapped somewhere. Just a thought...

well the valve clearances need checking and adjust if neccesary at 42000km (26000 miles) or 42 months whichever comes first :?

thats high if you ask me!!!

so not there yet but might be worth a check :?

Sounds silly but have you checked to make sure all the fairing screws and similar are tightened up? Or even taken the fairing off to make sure everything underneath is tightened, could even be something like a wire trapped somewhere. Just a thought...

I don't know how to explain other than it definetly sounds like mechanical as if it's comming from within the engine, u know? I completely replaced the fairing, mounting bracket, forks, wheel etc etc so had to get underneath and tighten everything anyway.

well the valve clearances need checking and adjust if neccesary at 42000km (26000 miles) or 42 months whichever comes first

thats high if you ask me!!!

so not there yet but might be worth a check

Fair enough stu, mind you only about 4000 of those miles are me but I suppose it'd be bad to presume it was done by previous owner. I got oil, filter and plugs on the way so I guess if these dont sort it then I can get my hands dirty doin this (never done it before). Not riding it in this weather at the moment anyway so in no rush .

Cheers guys

When the temperature drops big demands is put on the oil and cooling systems. If the motor is kept outside in a cold climate the initial start up is critical. Give the motor a few turns with the kill switch off, this will break the friction and help pump some of the thick cold – high viscous oil up from the sump to the top of the engine. Revving a cold engine with cold oil can and will cause cavitations of the oil pump starving the top of the engine of oil, hence the rattles.

Be gentle, look after your motor and it will look after you.

When the temperature drops big demands is put on the oil and cooling systems. If the motor is kept outside in a cold climate the initial start up is critical. Give the motor a few turns with the kill switch off, this will break the friction and help pump some of the thick cold – high viscous oil up from the sump to the top of the engine. Revving a cold engine with cold oil can and will cause cavitations of the oil pump starving the top of the engine of oil, hence the rattles.

Be gentle, look after your motor and it will look after you.

some bikes won't let you do this as the kill switch governs all electrical inputs... including the starter motor..

Thats quite possible, if this is the case just give the starter button a quick stab to turn the motor before committing to starting the engine, but for sure do not rev the engine excessively from cold. In the good old days 2 to 3 swings on the kick start was always needed before you went for a start. I've stood on a kick start on a cold morning and the motor not even budged. The joys of having a button world!

also has it only started to do it since the temp has dropped ?

naa it was doing it a bit towards the end of the warm days close to when I put it away for winter so isn't specifically related to the outside temperature.

You might need to check the valves and drive train, particulary the cam chain tensioner, if you did'nt notice the noise before, something is not quite right. Take strange noises as warnings. Hope you sort it soon.

have you checked the oil, topped up if required and the problems now gone, if so your problem was low oil, and is now solved.. doubtful that you need to go chasing shadows...

Oil burner Suzukis are prone to this.. a top up of, or an oil/filter change is the way to go.

my bike has 48K miles, and if low on oil has a slight rattle, topped up the problem goes away.

Thanks guys, new oil spark p and filter came last night so gonna try this first when I got a spare night to do so.

Forgive my stupidity but could I ask what the cam chain tensioner actually does? Is this to do with the timing belt or something?

you dont have a cam belt on a bike well apart from ducati's

you have a cam chain the cam chain tensioner is exactly that its to tension the cam chain

as the chain wears the tensioner will self adjust keeping it at the correct tension if it doesnt adjust properly you will get ralle

personally i dont think its this as it would do it all the time not just when cold heat or oil will not affect how much tension it puts on the chain