Are you tough enough?

Guest akey

Does this have to be done in the uk?

The event in the OP does as it is a fund raiser for The Poppy Appeal (£33,803 last year), and is on a set date.

The plan last year was to also set a world record by having over 153 complete the ride, sadly the colonials got wind and upped the anti to just over 400. :cry: 187 did finish the ride which is a 'rest of the world' record.

The beauty of doing this event is that the organisation is done for you, as is a route plan that will cover 1000 miles, your speedo reading is not proof enough :shock: Why :?:

Last year I rode with two Pan Europeans they recorded about 1150 miles, my Dragstar recorded 1008 miles :shock: the actual certified mileage for our route 1042 miles, that's why.

You can do a SS1000 anywhere in the world, to be certified you need a paper trail (usually petrol receipts & log & start/end mileages with independent witnesses) Take a look on the IBA website http://www.ironbuttuk.org/index.html

Pete West may be the best one to contact, he rides a bit, did a BunBurner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours) last year.

Hope that covers a few questions.

it says that 187 riders did this last year. So how do they do it, in groups of ten or on there own? can you tag along with somebody who knows were they are going?

I'll lead :)

it says that 187 riders did this last year. So how do they do it, in groups of ten or on there own? can you tag along with somebody who knows were they are going?

I think most in pairs or small groups (3/4) but many on their own. IMO more than 4 in a group would not work but that is just me.

The website is now active http://rblr1000.co.uk/

The routes are on there as are links for sat nav downloads. There is also a Q&A page.

These rides are becoming more popular by the year, I am a FarRiders member here in Australia and with the big open spaces here most weekend rides are around the 400 to 600 mile range, so the step up is not all that difficult. The FarRide forum has some useful tips on combating fatigue and preparing for participation in a ride. The feeling of accomplishment at the end of one of these is worth the effort and you will line up again and go on to the bigger ones. Good luck to all who decide to give this a go. As FarRiders say " Its only a road "

Me, but need a pillion seat please!!

Vicki, don't bother trying this, going to Assen you were sore after an hour lmao

Nothing worse than going too far and getting a sore Assen 8-)

• 1 month later...

i want to do a european trip so this would be a good experience to have under my belt and give me the push and confidence to go for it. I want to give his a go. will watch this post with interest nice one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

No trial or pre qualifying, just register and take the right mindset with you.

This (a SS1000) has been achieved on a 125 albeit in Finland but it should still be achievable on a 250 in UK. Be sure to read the 'hints & tips'. I can't remember what the smallest cc was last year but will try to find out.

ok thanks, will read the tips.. otherwise would be screwed! :shock: would like to go in with a group of people as i dont fancy it on my own, anyone up for it with me? would have to check dates etc but im well up for it. Hopefully ill have a bigger bike maybe :D

• 2 months later...

To all doing this ride,

I am not riding this year but assisting with the admin. please make yourself known to me I have met but a few from TMBF so far.

There are 360 registered for the ride this year and only 18 admin staff so I expect to have a busy weekend.

Here's hoping for fair weather and many safe rides.

See you at Squires, I hope to be there from Thursday lunchtime.