Riding in groups

wannars125

One of the best is to ride with one eye on the mirror so that if the tailing rider disappears it isn't too long before anyone notices.

On long spread out groups a drop-off system for corners works well as demonstrated on Mikey's Run.

However, when I ride in a group I try to concentrate on my riding and on the fact that I am in traffic - only this time it is mostly made up of bikers.

Do not be fooled into thinking that a following biker won't suddenly decide to overtake when you least expect it.

if following another bike, don't follow their line, as if you need to pull up, you are in line with their wheel, and will tap them in the back. sit off to the left or right of them.. again enables vision for the bike in front to see you, and you to see the road in front of the bike you are following, so no nasty surprises, like potholes...

I have to admit I don't really like riding in groups!

It's another skill that needs to be learnt.

The biggest thing I would say is don't get pushed into

exceeding your limits!

Our ride outs have worked out pretty well so far! :lol:

But sometimes you can get with a group of ahem decent riders and it just goes a little nuts :lol: but its a real feeling to ride like that but it aint for the preverbial faint hearted!!

But you'll generally know what typw of ride its gonna be, before setting off I knew this day as one guy arrived on the back wheel then skidded to a stop removed his helmet and just said hello i'm dave!! :shock:

But sometimes you can get with a group of ahem decent riders and it just goes a little nuts :lol: but its a real feeling to ride like that but it aint for the preverbial faint hearted!!

But you'll generally know what typw of ride its gonna be, before setting off I knew this day as one guy arrived on the back wheel then skidded to a stop removed his helmet and just said hello i'm dave!! :shock:

Let me know when you get one of those and I'll join you. :D

• 4 weeks later...

For me i would say keep an eye in your mirror and dont ride inline with the rider in front

Also if you are going to slow down or change lanes make it very obvious with indication and life savers

I nearly had an accident when my mate decided to slam on the brakes in the fast lane to get behind a car in the left hand lane. He had no reason for it and he had no thought of me coming up behind :evil: (live and learn i guess)

and if you don't know the route, don't overtake the lead rider... #

did a run with the usual crowd, but Drago's bruv came along, we took to the dual carriageway to take the next exit, and he was in the overtaking lane, before he realised and had to go to the next exit, to come back to the group...

• 10 months later...

I have been riding for a few years and in groups from 3 or 4 to 50+.

I can tell you from personal experience, ride in a staggered formation. If something happens in front, you have more time to react and always plan for a way out. Never let yourself get boxed in. you are at mercy of the guy in front of you.

I do not like to ride in groups of more the 4. If there is more then 6 break up the group. :cheers:

Just thought I'd ask as I couldn't find a post and haven't really done much of it, what is the riding etiquette (sp) in groups?

Don't be like my wife.

Took her out for a ride after she passed her test.

I slowed for the junction, Jim slowed for the junction - wife came flying up and broke the damn indicator off my XJ900F.

I tried to express my feelings but struggled to be heard over my mate's laughter.

• 1 month later...

Advanced Motorcyclists all use the marker system, explained briefly below (by someone else on a different website):

Before you get there.

LET THE ORGANISER KNOW YOU ARE COMING. It means they can let YOU know if its off/postponed/moved/running late...

If you want to go but can't make it, let the organiser know as if it looks like nobody is interested they won't bother organising any more.

Make sure you have the ride leaders mobile number (mine is in my profile). Text message is the preferred method of contact as a reply can be made without removing helmet etc. The main exceptions are in the event of an emergency or a breakdown when the fact it is a call not a text alerts the leader to the fact it is something urgent.

If you are going to be late or not going to make it, please have the decency to text the organiser and let them know so the ride isn't held up waiting for people who aren't coming.

Bring a copy of the route if it is available to you, and a map (or at least familiarise yourself with the route/area, using a map beforehand) so if for any reason you do split from the group you can continue alone.

Make sure your bike is in a good enough condition to make the distance. A ride truncated by your poor maintenance is no fun for anyone.

Try to arrive with a full tank, or fill up on arrival at the start point if possible.

Like your mum said, make sure you go before you go.

On the road.

If you are second on the road, don't sit right up the leaders arse (or anyone else's for that matter). There is no need for it and it pisses them off!

Give everyone some space.

The Marker System

The system is designed so anyone from a racer to a novice can follow a great route as worked out by the ride leader, possibly on unfamiliar roads, without the hassle of trying to navigate yourself as the route will be marked for you.

It is designed so all ride attendees can and positively should ride at a pace they are comfortable with, be that fast, slow or somewhere in between.

It is not designed to provide a "group" ride where all attendees stick together in one big gaggle riding to the pace of the slowest rider. If you choose to slow down to ride the route with a slower rider, or ride in a mini "gaggle" of similar paced riders that is fine, but the social part of the ride is primarily during the breaks for food, fuel and drink along the way.

The idea is not to keep up, but to follow the route at your own pace. Any pressure felt to keep up is purely self induced and quite frankly if you do not have the common sense and willpower to know when enough is enough for you then you really are not welcome on the ride. ALL riders are welcome, as long as they are safe. If you are riding out of your comfort zone to keep up you are not safe, hence not welcome.

How the system works:

It requires a leader, a tailender, and the riders(you!).

The leader - is familiar with the route, and follows it. He should carry a mobile in case of problems on route. He should point out to the first person behind him where to sit to be best positioned to mark each junction.

The tailender - is ideally familiar with the route also, but doesn't have to be. They will stay at the back for the entire ride and will be pointed out at the beginning of the ride. (They may wear a fluro vest to make them obvious). The tailender is exactly that, everyone else stays in front of them, so they should move the junction marker on once they arrive, this also ensures there is no confusion as to who is the rear bike.

They should carry a mobile with the leaders number in case of problems on route.

If anyone drops out of the group the tailender should stop with them and find out what is going on.

If there is a problem they should get in touch with the leader, or if they are just stopping for a pee wait with them so the marker stays in place at the next junction.

The riders - at any point the route deviates from the strip of tarmac in front, the first of the riders behind the leader will stop to mark the way at the junction in a place prominent to the rest of the following group.

THEY MUST NOT MOVE UNTIL THE TAILENDER ARRIVES.

If it seems like you have waited ages, wait some more. If they still haven't arrived, phone the leader as he may have heard from them.

Once the tailender has arrived, the junction marker can then work their way carefully back towards the front. Overtaking is encouraged, but please be courteous!

If anyone sees someone making dangerous overtakes (repeatedly - we all make mistakes sometimes) point it out to the leader, who will have a quiet word. If they carry on they will be asked to leave.

Meanwhile the group all move forward one, so number two, becomes number one behind the leader so marks the next junction.

If riders are going to drop off the back of the group (behind the tail ender), they must inform the tailender what's going on so the ride leader does not wait for them unnecessarily at the next break.

Occasionally the system fails. This is an unavoidable fact of life. Smile. Get over it.

If the system fails and you get split from the ride, text the ride leader to find where to meet up.

Next to your own personal safety, and definitely more important, should come consideration towards others in the group.

So please follow these few simple points:

Do not ride above your ability/limits to try and keep up. There will be a bike waiting for you at the next junction to show you where to go. Do not feel you are holding the group up. You are not. Riding fast is tiring, so marking junctions is a welcome break for those quicker than you.

There will also be regular stops for a breather/fag break during which you can catch up safely. (Just because we have pulled over for a couple of minutes it doesn't mean we are having a fag break tho! -if the leaders lid is still on, he ain't planning on stopping)

Do not get pushed along by a faster bike behind you. Move over and let them through. Also do not ride harder than you feel comfortable/are safe too to keep up with others. Only play hard with people you know and trust. Slower riders, beware you may be holding up a faster rider and move over, let them past.

If you are the faster bike, don't make stupid manoeuvres to get past (especially passing them on the left! ). Wait till they let you through, or find a safe place to get past.

Faster riders, please give plenty of room when passing and only go for a safe clean pass.

It doesn't matter whether you ride like a foggy or a fanny, just go at your own pace.

Its not a race and you wont get left behind. Just cos you cant see the bike in front doesn't mean you've got to ride like a loon to catch it up again. Take it steady, someone will be waiting somewhere.

My worse nightmare! :shock: Always prefer to lead, then it doesn't feel any different and I know I can go at my own speed!

Where as I prefer not to lead as I generally dont know where am going and dont want to hold anyone up, unless I am faster than them, then i wlll go off at my own pace and wait when i come to a junction.

which is pretty much system we use.

Hmm, we tend to be riding with a 125 or 2 in our group so ride at the pace of the slowest rider, although we will enjoy twisties at whatever we like, then jsut slow down again on the straights. We generally are just killing time though, so its fun jsut riding. If we need to get soemwhere then we all know where we're going so isnt such a problem

I've yet to ride in a group where I have to follow.......... :shock:

Oh wait yes I have! Alston Twisties up north!

With a group of 6 normally took them 1.5 hours, took them over 3hr! :roll: *cough* I had only been riding a few months and it was the first time on the roads.

mindu, I'd still be the same now, I hate hairpin's and roads with the cliff edge right at the edge of the tarmac! :shock:

roads with the cliff edge right at the edge of the tarmac! :shock:

thats a good reason to take it easy.

you set a good pace when you met up with us lot though, so that was alright. We'll jsut skim over what bikes we were all on though 8-) just have to get more practice at it :D

Yeah I was worried I was going to fast, but I love that road! :love:

I really take it easy on roads I don't know, you never know whats round the corner and I don't believe I have enough experience or confidence to deal with what may or may be there at the last minute!

I'll get better and build confidence and group riding will be a doddle! :D

Rally maybe my first time.... maybe! :D

I've yet to ride in a group where I have to follow.......... :shock:

Oh wait yes I have! Alston Twisties up north!

Lol with some of the people i usually ride with following is the safest option :shock:

On one occasion not turning up at all might have been the best bet but I survived and didnt get jailed so it ended as a fantatic experiance...but the fags got a mauling that day :)

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of going on a large group outing 40 plus bikes as i have never done one before and my mate has said done one and said he would never do another

( To much grouping in corners and general bunching up etc ) but i think i may still give it a go though

Personally, as a relatively inexperienced rider, I don't find it that enjoyable to ride with others. Either you are too slow for them or you are tempted to ride at a pace you can't handle.

In addition, each rider is likely to have different skill levels, different bikes, their own preferences (fast riding / taking it easy). On top of that, not only do have you to look out for motorists, you are always keeping an eye on the other riders. As bikes tend to speed up and slow down more frequently than cars, it increases the chances of errors! Check out how many You Tube clips show crashes where the rider is in a group situation.

That said, I've been on runs with big groups (e.g. Easter Egg Runs)...because the numbers are so large, it tends to slow everyone down and reduces the chances of a mishap. I am sure if you are very experienced and out with a mate with a similar bike and skill level, it is a real buzz :)

Yeah I was worried I was going to fast, but I love that road! :love:

I really take it easy on roads I don't know, you never know whats round the corner and I don't believe I have enough experience or confidence to deal with what may or may be there at the last minute!

I'll get better and build confidence and group riding will be a doddle! :D

Rally maybe my first time.... maybe! :D

Nothing wrong with taking it easy Ruth. If you ever do come out with us lot, i would be more than happy to be the tail ender. Im not bothered about speed or cornering as long as everyone is safe and they get to the destination for a chat :D