Ignition barrel

NearOn

I havent been riding my bike since bad weather but last two days been using it more and using it for work again, However when steering lock is on, am putting key in and cant unlock it, takes like 15 minutes and eventually just suddenly unlocks and I can switch bike on. Am guessing something wrong with ignition barrel? Is such a pain, just finished work and last thing I wanted was freezing my ass off in a car park trying to simply turn ignition on. Will try WD40 tomorrow but any other ideas before i call dealer? (Still under warrenty)

Cheers

You may find:

Wiggling the bars when trying to unlock

Pushing down the key

or a mixture of both may work.

Dont use WD-40, use normal 3-1 oil, much better.

Failing that, take it back and get it looked at!

Ta for quick reply

Ive tried wiggling bars, and pushing down the key and mixture of both, and doesnt work. Basically keep doing that and eventually just seems to work. But should not take like 15 minutes to turn an ignition key.

Whats 3-1 oil? Guessing just type of oil would lubricate key with?

Like you said mate if doesnt work, i wont hesitate in taking it down dealers, I just know though if I take it, it will start working fine for them lol

try reading here, been discussed before... http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... ition+lock

WD40 is not a grease, but a water dispersant suitable for electrics, it will evaporate and disperse any oils out of the lock.

WD40 is not the cure...

locksmiths used to used a graphite grease, but i believe this isn't good for cold weather..

3 in 1 is a general oil used for door hinges, bicycle chains etc..

try reading here, been discussed before... http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... ition+lock

WD40 is not a grease, but a water dispersant suitable for electrics, it will evaporate and disperse any oils out of the lock.

WD40 is not the cure...

locksmiths used to used a graphite grease, but i believe this isn't good for cold weather..

3 in 1 is a general oil used for door hinges, bicycle chains etc..

Yep,, I was told the same, Never use oil on any sort of lock, as it holds the crap & dirt,,,,,,,

the guy explained, plain Graphite is best & in dry powder form,,

So a couple of HB's & a bit of sandpaper :wink: :wink:

Yep,, I was told the same, Never use oil on any sort of lock, as it holds the crap & dirt,,,,,,,

the guy explained, plain Graphite is best & in dry powder form,,

So a couple of HB's & a bit of sandpaper :wink: :wink:

or rub an thick pencil over the key ridges..

Sounds to me it just needs lubing mine did the same once it was lubed up and i used it a few times its been fine!

Oh any reason for not using wd40?

I wouldn't have thought it would cause that many problems not being lubed though. :?

And according to the great information book of dan ( :lol: ), as it contains fish oils and stuff it can become sticky and not great as a lubricant.

TBH i'd go and get it checked out, just to be sure :|

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Sticky-Lock

A sticky lock can be a daily nuisance unless you do something about it. The good news is that you can fix it easily enough with just a tube of powdered graphite. Here's how.

Obtain some powdered graphite. This can be found in such places as a hardware or automotive section of any department store or hardware store. It usually comes in a tube.

Cut the tip off the tube of graphite.

Insert the tip of the tube into the key slot of the lock. Squeeze the tube one or two times - a little graphite goes a long way.

Put your key into the lock and slide it in and out a time or two.

Keep the graphite on hand in a dry place. That way, you can have it handy the next time you have this type of problem. If you find that you are using a lot of graphite, the lock needs to be repaired.

Be careful with the graphite until it is closed! Its fine particles will easily spray out on you. This may cover you in black dust and it could stain.

Tips & Warnings

If you're short on time and don't have time to go to the hardware store, find a lead or graphite pencil to shade and color all over the key. Insert the key into the lock to work the graphite from the lead into the lock. You may have to repeat the process several times to get the lock unstuck.

Avoid using spray lubricants to fix the sticky lock. These do work, but the oils in the lubricants become hard inside the lock and you'll have to keep spraying the lock over and over again.

Wow, thanks for all replys, just finished work again and tonight key turned no problems in ignition. However as been at work all day, didnt see replys. So I kind of earlier before went to work, I decided to use WD40 as only thing I had, and wasnt turning.

After used that, it turned fine but now I know isnt long term solution. Ill try this graphite method as like someone said WD40 isnt the right cure to it. Also i did try spare key before used WD40 and didnt make a difference so key isnt the problem.

Thanks again.

oo new post, conducts electricity? blimey dont wanna cause more problems, lol, I might just drop it off at dealers if keeps happening and let them sort it, after all might as well make most of honda warranty white its there.

I would suggest that if the key turns free and easy to the ignition – start position , then the problem would have to be in the steering lock locking pin sticking. Have a look for the pin and pin housing on the steering head stock. It’s probable that this is gummed up in grit and grime. Give it a good clean out with muck off or the like then give it a shot of lubricant; chain lub should be ok for this job.

Hope this helps