Cheap Helmets

right odd question...As an Art teacher I'm hoping to do a topic on designing Lid graphics. To my suprise my head of department a) agreed!! and b) asked if we could get cheap lids for them to actually paint their design on!!

I'm really keen for this to happen so need some white motorbike lids for the kids to paint on. two problems....quite a small budget and need quite a lot of lids....anyone got any ideas??

Tried ebay but can't guarentee finding enough numbers for cheap enough prices. Any ideas (or indeed, any donations of white lids!!! :P ) would be great!!

Surely if you set the kids to work in groups(Say, four kids, one does one side, one does the other, one does the back and one does the front and fills in the gaps :)), that would help a hell of a lot. And, how about cheap used lids you can spray paint white first?

Cheapest helmets i've seen were £30 and in J&S in northwich, open face, plain colours and designed :)

u cant actually paint a cheap lid as it ruins it and reacts with the helmet, not an expert on them but someone will be along with a price guide soon no doubt lol

instructor told me this on my CBT, for some reason its stuck with me lol, dont know why

u cant actually paint a cheap lid as it ruins it and reacts with the helmet, not an expert on them but someone will be along with a price guide soon no doubt lol

instructor told me this on my CBT, for some reason its stuck with me lol, dont know why

yeah but they aren't actually going to be used....as long as it lasts long enough for a photo it will be fine.

I may look into spraying coloured lids white first...

and I'm using it at Btec and GCSE level so working in groups wont be an option as assessed work needs to be individual....

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

I don't think it matters about the paint on the lid in this case as they won't be used other than as a canvas. Your right about the paint ruining it tho, same as fairy liquid....

Edit:

Did't tell me ppl had repied when I hit send

Good idea I will ahve to do some testing first....thinking of using acrylic paint which is non toxic and im guessing would be fairly safe....but will test none the less

Why do you need to buy helmets? If it is simply for an art project, why not ask people (perhaps on this site) to donate their old helmets and you pay the postage (which will be even cheaper) and that way you will get a mixture of materials, polycarb, fibre glass etc.

Even old used helmets can be made to look pretty good, and no health and safety issues as they are not going to be used as you say.

Why do you need to buy helmets? If it is simply for an art project, why not ask people (perhaps on this site) to donate their old helmets and you pay the postage (which will be even cheaper) and that way you will get a mixture of materials, polycarb, fibre glass etc.

Even old used helmets can be made to look pretty good, and no health and safety issues as they are not going to be used as you say.

Yeah I did say in my firt post donations would be helpful (and paying postage or me picking them up would be a good idea)

I really need them to be white I think....less preparation that way but yes....anyone who doesn't want their lids anymore I would gladly pick it up or pay for postage.