Timescale for test training

Guest J21R

Hi all, been lurking for far too long without posting and seems like the right time to fix that :lol: I've been looking at riding schools and it seems to be that they all run training as generally sub-week courses, sometimes being advertised with total novices walking in on day one with no CBT and leaving with a full licence! What I want to know is if these timescales are actually realistic. I suppose what I'm trying to ask is if in most people's experience these, what appear to be intensive, courses generally have decent test pass rates or if in fact most people get more training than a weeks course. Sorry if that's unclear, seems so much clearer in my head than written down :oops:

It's do-able in a week, but I can't say I'd recommend it.

If nothing else, now the test is in 2 parts, you could find yourself losing your mod 2 test fee if you fail mod 1. That's money down the bog and it's simply not necessary if you leave a gap between the two halves of the test. I took 3 goes at mod 1 and was glad I didn't have a mod 2 test pre-booked.

There's also no need to include CBT as part of the intensive course. It's normally a single day and can be done at a weekend without having to take time off work. If you don't complete the course in one day - some people don't, for whatever reason - then you can come back for another half-day or so, again at a weekend.

You can ride a 125cc bike on 'L' plates straight after CBT (provided you're 17 or older), so I bought one and used it to practice for a while before booking myself in for Direct Access. I figured there was no point in paying to have an instructor tell me how wobbly I was, when it was just down to lack of experience - and lessons are expensive compared to the depreciation on a small bike. (Unless you make the mistake I did, and buy a brand new one only to sell it six weeks later with little over 1000 miles on the clock!)

(This brief period did also confirm my suspicion that I really wanted a bigger bike that could keep up with the traffic on motorways and dual carriageways...)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I started my DAS course having never sat on a motorbike before. HAd i thought about it and researched all the info earlier i'd probably have done a cbt and ridden a 125 for a while first, but by the time i decided to try out this biking shizzle it was getting cold and I wanted to get qualified quickly so that i could make the most of the good weather when it arrived.

I booked a 6 session course. CBT, 125, 500, 500, mod1, mod2.

I ended up doing CBT, 125, 125/500, 500, 500, mod1, mod1, mod2, mod2. I would, however, say that the timescale of 6 sessions is still not at all unrealistic, for the following reasons:

Extra 125/500 session:

The extra 125/500 session was because the instructor who took me for my first 125 session (who was standing in for the regular guy) said i needed another session to work on my clutch control. It sounded odd to me at the time, but whatever. In reality i think i was jus a bit nervous because the CBT was so rainy that i only really spent about an hour on a bike. Then, for that first 125 session, we started late because the other learner was hiding in his car from the rain :evil: Fanny. So I had less time with bum on seat than i should have. When i did the next session with the regular guy he said, after an hour, "Your clutch control looks fine to me *shrug*. Lets get the 500 out!"

Extra Mod1:

I was REALLY nervous and put a foot down on the slalom because i went way too slow. All of mod 1 is so easy normally, when noone is watching. So if you're not the nervous type (mostly nervous because i'm spending money on bike lessons that the other half would like to spend on holidays :D) then that was an extra session that wasn't really necessary.

Extra Mod2:

My riding was fine. I just made a poor judgement, making a car slow down, which would also have caused me to fail a car test, which i've been driving for 12 years. It's one of those stupid mistakes which isn't really reflective of how many lessons you've had.

So, IF you disregard silly nerves and silly mistakes, the 6 session course probably IS feasible. Ofcourse that just means you have a licence. Not that you are actually any good at riding :D

This still all took me over 2 months though because of the damned snow & ice :s

I booked an intensive DAS course, but I didn't book my Mod 2 until I finished my mod 1. It went like this:

Day 1: CBT

Day 2: More 125

Day 3: Up to a 500

Day 4: Mod 1 passed + booked Mod 2 for exactly 2 weeks time

Day 5: Mod 2 (failed through stupidity - indicator) + re-booked Mod 2 for exactly 2 weeks time

Day 6 : Mod 2 passed

So it took 6 days (usually from 9:30AM to 2/3PM ish). I could have passed as planned but made a stupid mistake because I was nervous. Also, could have made Day 5 the day after Day 4, but didn't want to throw the money away if I failed Mod 1.

It's definitely do-able, but I'd stick with not booking Mod 2 until you have passed Mod 1 for sure.

I was hoping to do that in Dec. i.e, 5 day course ending with full lisence.

All training schools offer you a package for a price,

What they can't do is guarantee you success, it depends how good you are, if you fail they simply charge more which they have to,extra test time & such.

As I got told on here,unless your sh*t hot my advice is to take it a bit slower,concentrate on mod1 pass,then training for mod2.

I can recommend getting some experience on a 125 first, at least for a coupla months, just to build up your confidence with bikes. It's a very different kettle of fish to driving.

However, everyone's different.

I did my DAS after riding a 125 for five months and the confidence I'd gained in my bikecraft from those months really helped me. Only had two days of instruction for my DAS; one for mod 1 and one for mod 2.

I passed mod 1 with zero minors. Then my first attempt at mod 2 I failed with 2 minors, due to a silly mistake, but the second attempt I passed with zero minors again.

If you're coming straight in with no CBT, then I imagine a few more days' intensive instruction would be useful, to compensate for the lack of time spent on the 125.

Just my two cents.

Gaz

I suppose the main question is have you been on a bike before?

In my opinion, if not, I would have a crack at the CBT first, see how you fair with that. If you get through it easily, then ask the instructor whether he thinks you'd be suitable to go on and do your DAS. I'm sure he/she will give you an honest opinion. If he says he thinks you'd be ok, then ask to have a go on a 500 (I'm assuming you're over 21..) and take it from there.

The school I done my test with have said they will put you in for Mod 1 then have a week gap before Mod 2 so that if you fail Mod 1, you've still got an opportunity to retest before Mod 2 to save yourself losing money.

id never been on a bike till i did my cbt in august 09,then had 3x2 hour lessons on a 125,one a week,then 3x2 hour lessons on a 500,did my mod1 then had 4 more lessons then did the mod2 on november 25.i rek its just how well you pick it all up