Knackered Clutch? Can only go fast...

mojobanana

Hi,

RE: SV650s K5

I usually try and avoid this section of the site, but my bikey is broked. The sun was out (and is now) and I decided to get my gear on and blast the cobwebs away.

Got about 2 miles away and coming up to a set of traffic lights I can't change back down into 1st or neutral. I appear to be stuck in 3rd. I tried for a few moments to kick it back, but ended up revving up and pulling away in 3rd thinking I could knock it back down at the next opportunity. Push up into 4th, 5th and 6th, then try again to knock all the way back down again. No joy. The lowest gear I can get to is now 4th. I turn around and come home (ever tried pulling away in 4th?).

Pulled into the drive and got off, had a look at the gear lever. I can see no physical reason why it can't move, it moves freely up and down from 4th to 6th, but just won't go any lower. I took a photo of something metal that appears to have a crack in it (not being a technical type, but I am about to get the Haynes out). Photo here...

The only thing I think at the moment is that being out in the wet, cold and salt has taken its toll and the clutch has suffered. Of course, not being the techy type, it's going to be a new clutch at the garage. Anyone know how much a new clutch on an SV650s might cost?

Absolutely gutted, really needed a ride out today :(

IMAG0048.thumb.jpg.1ad40fd2136d5a4214d10d101924e933.jpg

if your clutch was knackered you would still be able to change gears up and down.

Like the others my thoughts would be a broke selector, BUT looking at the photo if that is the bottom of the engine where the oil filter is your crank case is knackered and that is either new crank cases, (expensive and big job) or secondhand engine (not quite as expensive) only trouble with a secondhand engine is you won't know what sort of state it is without stripping it.

mojo,... its not the clutch, its the gear shaft seal SVs suffer from it especially at winter, you need to remove the lever, the cover to get to the seal, simple and not expensive job..

mojo,... its not the clutch, its the gear shaft seal SVs suffer from it especially at winter, you need to remove the lever, the cover to get to the seal, simple and not expensive job..

The man is a Genius!... :thumb:

have you got a better picture and another thats not so close up, is it leaking any fluid?

I'll take another photo today and post it up. No fluids coming out but I could just about get my fingernail into the top of it.

have you got a better picture and another thats not so close up, is it leaking any fluid?

I'll take another photo today and post it up. No fluids coming out but I could just about get my fingernail into the top of it.

Cut your nail? Problem solved :)

IT WORKS!!!

A Bill arrived and started shifting the gear lever up and down, switched the engine on then got it into first and neutral. Got it going in and out of first to neutral then second without any issues, then I popped it round the block with absolutely no problems.

It's always had 'sticky' clutch plates (I've been advised). If you start the engine while in gear then the bike lurches forward. I wonder if sitting for 6 weeks while my ankle's been dodgy means the gear selector fork's got stuck. I'm going to get it looked at anyway, it could just be wear on the clutch plates.

Thanks for all your help peeps :D