Annoying electric problem already cost me loads.

Dale.

Hi, i have a problem with my scooter. I had it in for repairs and it's cost me £245 with this problem and a couple of others.

So my problem i was having was my battery wasn't charging when riding so i lost my lights and couldn't use electric start.

Took it in and the guy said he'll change the rectifier so went to pick it up yesterday and rode home it was still messed up, so took it straight back and came home with a new battery in this time. Charged it up over night put it in the scooter, went for a ride this morning. Everything seems ok, got home went to start my engine with the electric start and my fuel guage dropped let go of starter and fuel gauge pops back up.

However my lights indicators and horn are ok so it seems, so i'm starting to worry if it's my starter motor that is pulling to many amps or something out the battery, i'm going to kick it tomorrow and go for a ride without using my electric start if i have no problems, would you think that means there is a problem with the electric starter motor?

When i phoned the guy up today he said he thinks it's the generator however i think he's just taking me for a ride and would want another £80 quid for part and fitting. Which i think it's ridiculous.

So if the lights die tomorrow, does that mean i should change the generator, but if they are ok do you think i should like into a new starter motor.

Once again, i am terrible at explaining things please ask. I really do appriciate any help on this subject.

If you are going to slag Chinese bikes off please pm me and not spam my topic with your hate.

Cheers guys,

Dale.

Hi mate, nope not at all. Went for a ride this morning so it must be the generator or stator whatever it's called which i guess it's going to go into the garage for as its to much hassle for me especially when i don't have the tools.

Already replaced battery and rectifier.

How much did this cost you?

I know you said not to slag off the topic with hate but you have spent quite a bit on it already, Might be worth cutting your losses before it comes a real problem......

I cant afford to get rid of it at the moment! If i get rid of this its going to cost me 80 pound a month. If i could afford a proper make 125 i would of bought one a long time ago.

Cost me 360. This is the only main problem. Cost 50 pound for him to try sort the electrics out first time, rectifier and new battery. The new generator is going to cost 80 including fitting. The other 100 pound got spent wear and tear like center stand mucking up and new back wheel, this is my first problem with it apart from that very reliable never gave me no problems.

Edited by Dale.

You seem to be having the same run around i had wi the blade last year. Wasn't charging tried rectifier no, ended up it was a burnt out generator but i put a new battery on for my peace of mind as well!

He replaced the battery the other day aswell, he has always said it maybe the generator but he said its easier to start with the rectifier, when i made that post i was angry but ive came round now, because i rode home and that took and hour and everything seemed ok and he even checked the voltage etc, but it wasnt until yesterday when after my run to light house and tryed to start it before work that i realised i was back to sqaure one. I dont mind spending the money because i get alot of joy out of it.

the trouble with electrical faults they misteriously vanish when you take the bike to be fixed . i had terible trouble with a brand new bike once dying at the roadside the garage just replaced the entire ignition system on waranty no more problems . it seems you bought the bike to save you bus fares and all the agg thats associated with public transport and its cost you loads to try to get this fault fixed plus your bus fares . i hope they get this sorted out soon !

Hi, I would strongly suggest you take the bike to an Auto electrician rather than a garage. You need someone who is able to diagnose the fault, rather than someone who just keeps emptying his stores replacing parts and running up you a massive bill, hoping he finds it.

It might be a component fault or something stupid like a broken wire or dry joint. You could end going round and round in circles ending up replacing the bike the way you’re going.

I agree with what Chrisb6 said, if it was a component or battery problem he should be able to put a meter on it and know definitely if that was the cause, from what you say it seems he is just guessing and your paying for every guess he makes.

I had the same problem with my joyride. I went to a bike garage and they kept telling me it was the alternator, and was going to cost me £300, so I stripped the scoot myself and felt that the rectifier was that hot it could melt plastic, so it was my rectifier, I would never let anyone do repairs to any of my vehicles unless I know them. I believe everyone is there to rip you off. I changed my own rectifier at the cost of £30 for a second hand one from my local breakers.

Rectifiers go very easily if say your hitting top speed constantly it throws that much charge which just kills the rectifier. Just have your scoot ticking over for 10 minutes and feel your rectifier

I had the same problem with my joyride. I went to a bike garage and they kept telling me it was the alternator, and was going to cost me £300, so I stripped the scoot myself and felt that the rectifier was that hot it could melt plastic, so it was my rectifier, I would never let anyone do repairs to any of my vehicles unless I know them. I believe everyone is there to rip you off. I changed my own rectifier at the cost of £30 for a second hand one from my local breakers.

Rectifiers go very easily if say your hitting top speed constantly it throws that much charge which just kills the rectifier. Just have your scoot ticking over for 10 minutes and feel your rectifier

It's just had a new rectifier fitted, so unless i've been unlucky with a second bad one then it's not that. plus another thing was i put my lock next to where my generator wire is and i wonder if when i've been undoing my lock if i have disconnected the generator i will check tomorrow.

It's just had a new rectifier fitted, so unless i've been unlucky with a second bad one then it's not that. plus another thing was i put my lock next to where my generator wire is and i wonder if when i've been undoing my lock if i have disconnected the generator i will check tomorrow.

I'm just clarifying, do you know its had a new rectifier fitted, i.e. did you see your old rectifier, looked to see if the one fitted was new. Some garages are there just to rip you off as they know your not sure whats what, its so easy for a garage to say its this and that.

He did show me the old one yes, the old one did not have connections on which is why i didn't change it myself as i would have to cut the connector off the new rectifier and join the cables manually.

My new rectifier has a connector on it and he sorted my wiring out so it didn't need manually joining and im not able to change the rectifier myself now due to the scooter wiring now having a connector on it.

Just to let everyone know i've found the problem. Went to see if the generator cable was in fact disconnected and in a way....It was. I don't know what's caused it but where the generator cable connects just after there a wire has burned out and melted a couple of other wires, disconnected another one and melted a couple of my connectors together i have a feeling it's going to cost more then £80 to fix now.

Hi, l'm pleased that you have found a fault, rather than someone emptying there stores in hope of tripping over it. As l said, you might be looking at a wiring fault rather than a componant failure.

If l was you now, l would take the bike to an auto electrician to have it looked at. He or she, will have all the kit, skills and experiance to maybe fix the the burnt connections and then check that all is working ok.

It is possible to replace burnt wiring but you really need to get someone to first find out what caused it in the first place, to prevent it happening again.

Best of luck.

P.S

Get a quote for the work before you let them start, it seems you've paid out enough already.