Exhaust screws snapped

ginge511

Another problem, caused by me lol.

I just went to take the can off my exhaust pipe.

One screw came off stiff but ok and there is a thread bolt still there.

But the other 2 bolts snapped off :S

Is there a way to remove the broken bolts and put some more screws in?

As it will just spin round now the end can seeing how the other 2 bolts are broke..

What an ass i am.

And there is a cat in the exhaust.

Just done what someone told me to do and prod down the pipe and it stopped.

That's solved got to take it out now but now i have this problemo.

Marvellous.

Any help would be great thanks.

I've sorted it somewhat.

Just there is smoke billowing out where the 2 screws/bolts are missing.

The smoke goes after riding so it ain't too bad.

I'll lose power at top end i know.

I'll buy a another standard end can for under 50 squid hopefully.

And get this f**king cat sorted out once n for all.

This bike will now be my last 12 f**king 5.

Onwards n upwards now.

there other options that may be cheaper the a new exhaust.

1/ you can get at nearly all shops like halfords a freeze spray. if there is any of the bolt still sticking out of the holes you can spray it, the area around the bolt will expand in the cold and then get some molegrips on the studs. i had to do it with snapped studs on my manifold.

2/ eastouts are a drill bit with a reverse thread. you take a tiny dill bit and drill a pilot hole down the centre of the snapped bolt. the easy out will reverse screw in to the piolt hole and undo.

wd40 will help alot.

it's a bit time consuming but a load cheaper than new exhausts.

hope this helps.

there other options that may be cheaper the a new exhaust.

1/ you can get at nearly all shops like halfords a freeze spray. if there is any of the bolt still sticking out of the holes you can spray it, the area around the bolt will expand in the cold and then get some molegrips on the studs. i had to do it with snapped studs on my manifold.

2/ eastouts are a drill bit with a reverse thread. you take a tiny dill bit and drill a pilot hole down the centre of the snapped bolt. the easy out will reverse screw in to the piolt hole and undo.

wd40 will help alot.

it's a bit time consuming but a load cheaper than new exhausts.

hope this helps.

I think you'll find freezing makes the bolts contract, rather than expand, the product is designed to "shock" rust free.

put the cat in a bag with a brick and take down to the river.... ohh, its not that type of cat....

only kidding.

time is the important thing here, rush it and it will take twice as long, and when you put new bolts/studs in use copperease. stops the metalurgy between the two metals.

fit two nuts over the head and lock together then undo, or fit one and hammer over the end, which will cause it to lock and undo, or fit one nut and weld on the top to create a bolt and undo, also warm up the engine to expand the metals and use freezing spary on the threaded bar and some mole grips, wear gloves, it gets hot near the manifold.

plenty of ways, all have different results

and have a cup of tea, when its al going wrong, stop, have a break, and then start again, getting all hot and bothered will not help.

Mr P.Dantic