Grinding "chingling" noise when driving

alexanderfoti

Hi all.

I have an odd noise coming from my Vara.

when riding along I can hear a grinding/chingling noise, sounds very similair to somebody jangling keys. I hear it most when riding past parked cars/walls etc which makes me think its coming from the side of the bike. Im thinking chain slack, how much slack am I meant to have when sitting on the bike at the loosest part of the chain?

Any ideas where else the sound could be coming from .

Its an 59 vara with 500 miles on the clock.

Not sure about on a Vara.

But my CBR chain recommends no more than 25mm play at the midway point.

Check it move the wheel check it again, do it a few times because you will have different readings along the chain

I don't suppose you're describing clutch rattle are you? (Easy way to test is to make it happen then pull the clutch in, and if it stops with the clutch in, you've got clutch rattle!)

59 plate with 500 miles,i would run it back to the dealer to be on the safe side

:stupid: Who care's what it is if you don't have to fix it and can get it done for free under warranty ;)

However it would be interesting to find out what it is. A high-pitched jangling noise wouldn't be the chain I don't think, that makes more of a "whopping" clicking noise if it's loose.

Is it a toned-down version of this (this being on a Ducati and a dry clutch, yours being a wet clutch so shouldn't be quite so loud):

">

59 plate with 500 miles,i would run it back to the dealer to be on the safe side

Its going back for a service in 2 weeks, havent got a chance to get it there before hand, just wondering if its something simple I could fix in the meantime..

Interesting Vid, its sounds vagely like that actually, a bit queiter but I dont have it when at a standstill.

Will clutch rattle only happen when moving?

When im not moving the rattle stops which makes me think its either chain or brakes.

I get clutch rattle in the region of 30-50mph in 2nd gear. Never noticed it at any other time, including at standstill.

Either way, asking the dealer seems a good idea.

if it stops with the clutch in, you've got clutch rattle!

Just to re-phrase this for you:

Pull the clutch lever in (towards you) with your hand and if the noise stops with it pulled in like this, then it's probably clutch rattle.

If the noise continues, it is probably not clutch rattle.

Now get that dealer to give it a good check-up :wink:

if it stops with the clutch in, you've got clutch rattle!

Just to re-phrase this for you:

Pull the clutch lever in (towards you) with your hand and if the noise stops with it pulled in like this, then it's probably clutch rattle.

If the noise continues, it is probably not clutch rattle.

Now get that dealer to give it a good check-up :wink:

Ahh ok.

Cool, Thanks!

I had a rattle for about 20-30 miles on my Vara when I bought it.

I thought it was the starter motor not retracting properly, that where I thought the noise was coming from. The bike had been sitting unused for 2 months when I bought it so I just figured it was because it hadn't been used for a while.

I would really only hear it on idling, and it would disappear after revving to over 2/2.5k.

Worried about it until it disappeared by itself and it's never returned.