How difficult should this be?!

Guest Mr Miller

Guest Mr Miller

Aaarrrggghhh! Four Foot Stake!!!!

After getting all the relevant bits for changing oil & filter on my bike on or around the week end of my birthday - about 2 weeks ago, I finally got some free time to so I had the second half of Saturday to have a run at it!

I Spend 10 mins acquainting myself with my shiny new torque wrench - setting it to the right value for the drain plug and making sure I’ve got the right socket from my shiny new socket set connected to the ratchet handle I take all that lot out to my mum & dad’s garage where my bike is kept, I move their car out of said garage and half way up their drive giving me the flat bit to mess about on and I’m ready to begin.

Seeing this is my first time, I think a dry run is a good idea – yep, the new filter looks like the old one.......hmmmmn?....how am I gonna get the old one out from betwixt the downpipes when they’re burny hot? I get the new filter and try it out - it’s like the friggin’ Krypton Factor! In-twist-down-rotate-angle-slide-drop!

Ok, new filter in the very tight space means that old one will come out.....well, it will if I can get the filter wrench located on it!.......which I can’t!!!

Bugger!

There isn’t enough room to get the filter wrench on to the old filter! I’ve jiggled, joggled, shimmied - all to no avail. I almost resorted to pleading with the downpipes to just move a couple of mm’s – they wouldn’t, by the way!

Hypothetically speaking, if I’ve drained the oil from the engine – screwdriver through filter, twisty and off she comes.......how do I tighten new one to the correct torque if I can’t get the ruddy filter wrench on it?!

Yesterday morning, I’m in Machine Mart getting a chain-type filter tool! That’ll do it!......I hope!

Back at the lab: Aaarrrggghhh! Double Four Foot Stake!!! I can’t get that fecker to locate on the filter when I’m pushing up against bloody cold downpipes, let alone tip-toeing around hot ones!!!

If I do get the old one off, how can I tell when to stop tightening the new filter? Don’t want to knacker it, nor do I want my precious black gold pishing out on the floor! I’m hoping one of you guys will tell me to get it finger-tight, then an extra ¼ turn!

The last option for me to do it myself is to buy the tool that looks like a cross between an adjustable wrench and a pair of scissors! This might just give me the purchase on the body of the filter to loosen it enough...and conversely, tighten it up to an acceptable tightness!

Thoughts please?......and no, I don’t want to take her in to get someone else to change her oil......well, not this time, anyway!

I knew I should have spent my birthday money on another tattoo!

try going in from the other side, or putting an extension onto your socket (to reach through the headers/pipes),..

pour a little oil into new filter, and run oily finger round seal (rubber bit), make sure old seal is off the engine from old filter (yep been there...)

spin new filter on by hand until tight, then get a cloth (cloth gives more purchase, like opening your pickled eggs...) and turn half a turn. or get the filter key on and do it..

fit drain plug, add oil to level, fit cap, start bike and watch for oil seapage, if so, turn off engine and tighten slightly..

MrM, i can only do mine frorm one side, as the pipes stop the ratchet moving, chain and strap wrenches haven't worked for me.. and i find fitting the cap to the filter then fitting the ratchet to the cap is easiest..

might be worth a go..

Guest Mr Miller

I knew you'd be one of the first to help, matey! :D

The only thing I'm worried about is, if I can't get the filter wrench onto the old filter whilst it's still in-situ, how the hell am I going to remove the wrench from the the new one once it's attached to the engine?

Blakey, I did think about loosening the offending downpipe! There's only two studs that would need tweaking! The thing is, knowing my luck, this would end up with my bike in bits on the garage floor and me with a slightly dumb-founded expression on my face with the spanner in my hand where the bike used to be - a la Tom & Jerry!

:D

Aaarrrggghhh! Four Foot Stake!!!!

Ohhhhh i get it!

Me too now :lol:

I had to the screw driver through filter thing aswell, as i hadn't ordered the removal tool and needed the bike for the next day :lol:

Hand tight should do the trick, it will stiffen/tighten over time anyways.

I knew you'd be one of the first to help, matey! :D

The only thing I'm worried about is, if I can't get the filter wrench onto the old filter whilst it's still in-situ, how the hell am I going to remove the wrench from the the new one once it's attached to the engine?

DON'T TAKE THE EXHAUST OFF!!!

reasons being... studs, bolts snap/seize, and are gererally a PITA..

you'll need to replace the gaskets,

you can get the filter key and socket off, its just a case of wiggleit a bit..

I'll show you how, when we come by on the Scabby Run...

Guest Mr Miller
....you can get the filter key and socket off, its just a case of wiggleit a bit..

Oooooooh, I didn't know she was good with a spanner?

I'll ask her if she'll help me with the brakes, too!

:wink:

....you can get the filter key and socket off, its just a case of wiggleit a bit..

Oooooooh, I didn't know she was good with a spanner?

I'll ask her if she'll help me with the brakes, too!

:wink:

nuts tighten........ LMFAO

• 2 weeks later...

Video is good,

My experience with cars says - never ever use any tool for tightening oil filter. Use only your hands and it will be enough.

But in a bike there is not always enough space for it.

Don't go too tight as you will have serious problems taking it out again after few miles :)

well after a workshop day yesterday Mr M, is all sorted,

Aftermarket filter was taller than stock so harder to get filter socket/key on, but a bit of gentle persuasion, and it was on.

so oil, filter, chain tension, brakes cleaned, checked, and new brake fluid. all good.

Guest Mr Miller

Aye, we had a good day and I learned loads! He's a good teacher! :thumb:

I just need to find a friendly vet with a 2nd hand syringe......or go and have a nosey in the labs downstairs and see if there's a......*ahem!*......spare one! :wink:

Also, I have well over 500ml of Dot 4 brake fluid going spare if anyone wants to come and pick it up! Ruddy Halfords! HG do it in 500ml bottles!

First item on my new shopping list is tube of copper slip and a rolling pin! :wink:

Thanks again, Frankie - most gratefull!

Oh by the way, I had to eat your other yum yum or it would have gone stale! :D

just to clarify, Large syringe is for bleeding brakes - draw the fluid through rather than pump the lever, much simpler..

and rolling pin (lol) is to get the dregs out of a nearly empty tube of coppaslip, only to find that you have a pot of KFCs finest full of Coppaslip... (like ya mam did with toothpaste. lol or is it just me...)

and by labs, no hes' not taking the hypo off the local drug dogs, but the chemistry type ...

Guest Mr Miller

Got home last night to find the air filter had arrived. The box says it must only be fitted by a qualified motorcyle mechanic, in accordance with instructions from the manufacturer of the motorcycle! :shock:

Well that's me büggered, then! :wink: