Fuel Injection vs Carburetor

Edgey

Just for general knowledge, I am not yet looking to buy a new bike for a couple of months but:

Say I was looking at a CBR600F, If I remember correctly they started making them fuel injected from 2001+

If I was to find say a 1999 (CBR600F4) carbed bike and a 2001 (CBR600F4i) FI bike, pretty much everything else including cost are the same, which would be the better option? Naturally I would assume fuel injection as it is a more recent technology, but I know very little about the two except about 5 minutes worth of googling.

Please feel free to depart your wisdom 8-)

for my part I would go for the later model, but the chances of finding them both with the same mileage.

If you can go for the earlier model, as long as the mileage isnt to big then go for it.

Only real problem ive had with the carbed sv VS my FI ybr was cold start up (the SV being a bit more of a challenge) the carbs can have carb icing (unless there is a carb heater) and require manual choke.

Only other things i know about FI is that it is generally less responsive (or at least used to be) and it is (less??) more fuel efficient.

Id go for the FI version for the easier cold starts and as you say, generally more upto date technology!

FI if you're lasy, carbed if you're not xD I mean, as long as you warm the bike up nicely before you ride, its not gonna ice up!

Also, cold starts yes can be a problem, but i imagine only if you haven't taken care of your bike?

FI if you're lasy, carbed if you're not xD I mean, as long as you warm the bike up nicely before you ride, its not gonna ice up!

Also, cold starts yes can be a problem, but i imagine only if you haven't taken care of your bike?

Well i mean before the bike has started, the carbs are so cold they cant turn the fuel in to vapor, or something. I've read of how early SV's used to suffer with the problem.

Just go with the best deal :lol:

Pffft, SV's suck :wink: :lol:

Aye, go with the best deal :) And Edgey, your bike will be living in a nice garage all the time! It'll be fine for cold starts. Plus, you can just stick a heater in the garage if yr really arsed... Thats what my dad's gonna do for his car next year, slip that white heater in the garage lol.

Aye, when buying a bike I would obviously go with the best deal, carbed or injected. Though the 2001 model has slight aesthetic improvements. I was just generally wondering what people would go for given the choice and if the descision to change to injection in 2001 makes much of a difference.

The bike you saw me on was the 2000 model, the 2001 had FI.

FI gives a better throttle responce, quicker and smoother.

Carbs have to be balanced at a service but it takes a fair few thousand miles to knock them out of balance and its cheap anyway.

FI is more fuel efficient though not much.

I love carbs but only as I know the internal workings of them. Fuel injection is nasty when it goes wrong as its all timed etc. If you get the bike I had you cant go far wrong... Apart from Cam chain tensioners. Make sure you swap them out every 15,000 miles :thumb:

Pffft, SV's suck :wink: :lol:

Aye, go with the best deal :) And Edgey, your bike will be living in a nice garage all the time! It'll be fine for cold starts. Plus, you can just stick a heater in the garage if yr really arsed... Thats what my dad's gonna do for his car next year, slip that white heater in the garage lol.

Even the early Kawasaki GPZ500s had carb icing issues :? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

for the winter - carbed is better as you control choke

I start the bike, gloves on close helmet 1st gear (already 30 sec past) off my drive 2nd gear - choke off and crusing to crossing for like half a mile - when stops at lights engine still runs :P

Ignition will automaticly rev more (auto-choke) also with relativelly warm start in todays mornings :)

As general for summer riding go for ignition version, but check Service History it is a must

for the winter - carbed is better as you control choke

I start the bike, gloves on close helmet 1st gear (already 30 sec past) off my drive 2nd gear - choke off and crusing to crossing for like half a mile - when stops at lights engine still runs :P

Ignition will automaticly rev more (auto-choke) also with relativelly warm start in todays mornings :)

As general for summer riding go for ignition version, but check Service History it is a must

I'd disagree here, FI is superb in winter, the FI on the tiger hasnt missed a beat all winter, no choke, no over revving no problems. Wheel out the bike, hit the starter and forget about it, just pull away.

FI gets a bad rep on bikes from when the early systems were not so good. but anything from 01/02 should be fine.

My 1999 GSX750W is carbed and has carb heaters installed

Never had a problem starting it up :wink:

The engine just needs to be nicely warmed before you start off as it can a bit jerky otherwise.

Oh and its gonna be up for sale real soon if anyone is interested :cheers:

The GSXR is fuel injected and doesnt need warming up but I still let it idle for a while before setting off