Clutch cable adjustment? - Update, possibly release shaft!

Mk5Centurion

Ok, having a bit of a thicko moment with this just now; i just cant seem to get this cable adjusted to anything like the way it should be.

I need to pull the slack away from the bar as there is very little lever travel at the bar now but i cant think how and the old haynes manual isnt very helpful (maybe i've been looking at it too long :mrgreen: )

Here it is at the clutch end:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/samcrow_photo/th_Photo051.jpg

And here it is at the bar - lock wheel and adjuster showing

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/samcrow_photo/th_Photo052.jpg

Any advice very welcome! :oops:

Edited by Mk5Centurion

If you need more slack at the lever then you need to screw the adjustor into the level more (less thread between the cable and lever assembly).

only adjust the bottom if you run out of range of adjustment at top.

and if so, wind top adjuster in fully, then adjust at bottom, and use top for further / minor tweaks..

This is doing my head in right now - I think i've f****d up my cable adjustment; there's virtually no lever travel at the bar:

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/samcrow_photo/th_Photo055.jpg

I've footered and fiddled with the cable and the adjusters at the top and the bottom (clutch end), and i've still got this gap at the lever end

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/samcrow_photo/th_Photo056.jpg

back to the darkened room methinks...... :crybaby:

is that cable hanging like that, or are you pulling it?

you need to use the adjuster in the photo, and wind it out to take up that slack....

Haynes manual required...

is that cable hanging like that, or are you pulling it?

you need to use the adjuster in the photo, and wind it out to take up that slack....

Haynes manual required...

The cable is hanging like that mate - haynes manual i have .....i think i've been staring at it too long it doesn't seem to be making any sense!

If the clutch cable is far away hanging like yours - it is more likelly stuck somewhere :wink:

From photos I can see that it is a project/repair - is the clutch cable not too tight somewhere?? crumpled between two metal parts or something similar :?

Can be also that a clutch itself is engaged all the time so no play on cable

If it is loose and can move freely - change cable :) as this one is too long (different bike ?)

Is clutch working ok at all?

If the clutch cable is far away hanging like yours - it is more likelly stuck somewhere :wink:

From photos I can see that it is a project/repair - is the clutch cable not too tight somewhere?? crumpled between two metal parts or something similar :?

Can be also that a clutch itself is engaged all the time so no play on cable

If it is loose and can move freely - change cable :) as this one is too long (different bike ?)

Is clutch working ok at all?

I dont think its stuck anywhere - there is another sheath over the existing cable running up through the headstock area etc and it moves around ok. The clutch was working for the short ride i took it on last week (just round the area of lock ups but first gear only)

Ok - had a quick look at this before work this morning following a tip from the ZZR forum i frequent too.

Where the cable attaches to the bottom of the clutch release shaft was sitting very far forward (given that it should be pulled forward when the lever is pulled in), a very quick inspection suggests that the release shaft might be stuck as the pivoting part that the cable attaches to is moving but the shaft is staying put. Bearing in mind this was a quick 2 min inspection whilst avoiding getting dirty before work.

Any tips on releasing the release shaft? Might i be looking at replacing the springs or the whole clutch?

:shock:

depends how the release mechanism works to be honest theres a few different types out there!!

read your manual dont stare at it :lol:

sit down with tthe manual and read how the mechenism works and how to adjust the mechenism and the clutch cable