What did you use instead of buying 50+ cones to practice?

The missus reckons it's a waste of money to buy 50 cones around £15 and practice my mod 1. I want to make sure my bike can get up to the 32km/h before wasting £75 on a test. It also struggles to get past 62mph (100km/h) due to its age, will this be a problem for the mod 2?

AFAIK, unless they changed the rules (sorry, i took the old test) the 62mph is just a theoretical thing based on the manufacturer's figures ("capable" of 62mph) - you don't actually have to do 62mph in the test! The CG125 (i assume you're referring to the 1985 CG mentioned in your signature) is perfectly appropriate for the test. In fact i did mine on my old 2002 CG :)

From what i remember, examiners are more concerned with you getting up to speed without hesitation, than whether you're top speed is 60 or 65mph.

Practice can't be a bad thing, especially with the new harsher test and your old CG (and when practicing, remember that your speedo is likely to be under-reading your actual speed by about 10%). The swerve test is something you may need to put into practice one day to save you and your bike from potentially serious damage - easily worth £15 in cones to explain for the wife... :wink:

remember that your speedo is likely to be under-reading your actual speed by about 10%). The swerve test is something you may need to put into practice one day to save you and your bike from potentially serious damage - easily worth £15 in cones to explain for the wife... :wink:

cheers :) but with regards to my speedo, as mentioned in the pitstop thread my speedo says I'm doing 80-90 when I'm doing 52 (GPS). It seems to register 30 okay. I have swapped clocks from a 1982 Cg125.

I used the gaps between the white lines on an early sunday morning in a huge retail car park, seemed to help. And as another person said above, for the swerve, just drain covers in the road, obviously if safe to do so and no traffic around. And for the emergency stop, a long quiet road.

Its only £15 for the mod1 :) Not £75!

EDIT, plus, if you know the dimensions, just measure how many parking spaces u need to go through for the corner in an abondoned or not in use car park :)

Edited by Anonymous

My instructor used tennis balls cut in half. If you make the distances harder then you need not worry about the fact that cones are bigger and therefore easier to hit. Good thing about the half tennis balls is that theres no problem if you run them over, unlike if you use half a brick or something.

Its only £15 for the mod1 :) Not £75!

EDIT, plus, if you know the dimensions, just measure how many parking spaces u need to go through for the corner in an abondoned or not in use car park :)

it's £15!!!!???? Are you having a bleeding laugh :shock: is that ALL!!??? must go check.

edit: it wouldn't let me check, just told me booked...cost £15.50. Couldn't find how much it cost but anyway I've booked it for June 25th, though I think I'm on holiday then so will have to reschedule it. Won't bother with buying the cones :roll: :cheers:

How much is mod 2?