Steering: tight spots.

BoB3rt

Hi,

Been riding my ZX6 about 3 days and noticed the bike has trouble going to the right,

Example:

Was in wales earlier for a bit of a mooch and came to this right hand bend and I just seemed to continue straight, heading towards the grass verge followed by trees :shock:

Slowed down with rear brake as i was now coming into the bend, still leaning and trying to turn.... having little affect i was still going to hit the side. put the rear brake on more as first instinct, next fing the rear end was swinging out managed to control it and applied front brake coming to pretty much a slow roll right next to the verge!

So i have heared of tight spots, and as the bike has been layed up for 18months before this am presuming it is one.

I have looked for information but not really found much. can anyone enlighten me what a tight spot acctully is, and even better how do you get them out??

Going around larger round abouts can be a pain.. going slower to push/lean the bike round....

Cheers.

I was in the pub once chatting to this really girl when my wife walked in.

That was a tight spot.

Got out of it by spending alot of money on the wife shopping

I was in the pub once chatting to this really girl when my wife walked in.

That was a tight spot.

Got out of it by spending alot of money on the wife shopping

I LoL'd :lol:

Perhaps Steer clear of other women, unless you have deep pockets :P ?

Sounds like your steering head bearings are shot, to check them, get the front wheel off the ground, turn handle bars from side to side any notchiness means they need replacing.

Edited by Anonymous

:stupid: steering head bearings, or steering stem nut overtight... if replacing bearings get needle rather than ball, less likely to create notchiness..

Yeah i been doing some reading up, and although i have not found it reffered to 'Tight spots' i presumed the bearings would be the cause.

Will try tommorrow if not in the week to get the front wheel up, they proberly do need changing dout they would have been done before plus with it been laid up for awhile.

If it was too tight on the stem would that not effect steering in both directions? never-the-less i will check them.

This (as most with bikes) is a new one to me so when you say needles and not ball what ones am i looking for? i have found these, are they 'needles' - more rollin pins than balls: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZX6R-G-J-1-2-98-0 ... 19bb7e5611

Cheers for the help guys, pretty scary not being able to turn properly/smoothly!

yep, they are needle bearings, .....................................but wait!!!

after re-reading your post you would be wise to check, visually first for cables or anything else fouling when you turn,

especially if you have done any front end work, or fitted different bars,

also check the steering damper..

lift the front end and check that the front moves freely side to side, full lock to lock.. and it may be as simple as an overtight steering nut.... turning one way tries to tighten it further, hence being unable to turn..

:stupid:

I have had damaged steering head bearings, and they caused the symptoms you describe, caused my bike to under steer on left handers, it felt as if the bike wanted to continue in a straight line,

Impact damage from potholes etc, causes a indentation to the outer bearing race, this can be felt as a definite notch when turning the handle bars with the front wheel off the ground, the deeper the notch the harder the bike will be to steer.

But i would follow W/F advice and check everything :)