God dam it

splinter

Am not sure its as straight forward as that, I believe it depends upon the type of tyre as well as the size of the hole.

Quote from superbiketyres.com:

"Motorcycle tyres have to be repaired within the limits of British Standard BS159F."

It then goes on to mention you can't repair Z rated tyres or above, and that most 600cc sports bikes these days come with Z rated or above tyres. :crybaby:

So the answer to your question is more of a maybe, depending upon what tyre it is...

Whats the speed rating on a battlax bt020 - isn't it a Z? which would make it illegal to plug it.

spunky1976 - if you do ever have a crash on that tyre, I'd advise suing the garage that did the repair as its not legal.

garage that did the repair is former racer, tyre is about shagged now anyway due to be replaced in couple of weeks.

mine is z rated but newer ones would have w or another letter as z ratings have been being fazed out apparently

also this is mcn's viewhttp://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Tyres/2009/July/jul0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs/?&R=EPI-116288

W rating is above a Z (go figure?!?) so that puts it in the illegal to plug for anything more than a stop gap measure to get you home category.

Best phone some garages tomorrow morning, as I'm going off internet information (not wikipedia though), they might be able to sort it for you.

Can you let me know if they can legally fix it is as I'm under the assumption I'm right and therefore have to pay out for a new tyre each time I get a puncture.

garage that did the repair is former racer, tyre is about shagged now anyway due to be replaced in couple of weeks.

mine is z rated but newer ones would have w or another letter as z ratings have been being fazed out apparently

also this is mcn's viewhttp://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Tyres/2009/July/jul0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs/?&R=EPI-116288

Not a big fan of MCN - its the sunday sport of motorbike journalism. However I can't find anything that states the BSAU159f standard is a legal requirement (well only site but it didn't look like the sort of spot I'd trust). I think its just a guideline for the repairer and if they refuse to follow it then they are putting themselves in a risky position.

I'll standby my position until someone other than MCN tells me I'm wrong. :D

Best bet is to phone around the garages, if 3 out of 3 agree it can be fixed then it must be legal, if only 1 does then you might have just found yourself a dodgy garage that'll do illegal work for cash.

it seems to be a grey area i can't find a definitive answer one way or the other as to whether it is law or not. :?

I don't believe this guy is dodgy that i've used, mainly because he is extremely busy and i originally went for the tyre to be replaced, which would have put more cash in his pocket than the £30 he charged to repair it.

I mean would you risk someone having an accident on your tyre repair for that, when you could have had £90 plus the cost of fitting in your pocket instead? to me the dodgy place wouldn't have looked at it and would have just chucked a new tyre on and taken the money.

I picked up a nail in the front 2 weeks ago ,it was on the shoulder of the tyre took it into my local tyre shop and it was plugged cost £14,Dunlop road smart

this info taken from the dunlop website,have a look ar paragraph 4 in the notes

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.

2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.

4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.

5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.

6. Cut or broken ply cords.

7. Broken or damaged bead wires.

8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).

9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.

10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.

11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.

12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.

13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.

2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.

3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.

4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

Ok guys went to the local specialests and got the tyre plugged because it was center of tire and did not damage it in any other way it could be done, also my tyre is w rated. It's not illegal, however he did tell me that a bold tire will get u 6 points now not 3!! That shcocked me.

Good to know that its not illegal, that tip will save me some money and ridiculous amounts of force trying to get the new tyre back on the rim (although now I know the knack to it, its not that tiring) :wink:

Thanks for the update. :D