Why no car style training?

Hey guys,

Though it's been many many years now, I rode for 2 years and put about 10k on my old CG125 (lots of long distance riding, in all bloody weathers) and now I'd like to get back up to speed again. My problem is I'm quite shaky and need an experienced biker to give me a good bollocking if I forget my life saver and generally give me advice on the road.

The DAS seems like the obvious choice, I'm 23 ( :cry:, I'm getting old) but it's a huge amount to blow for an idiot like me (easily upwards of 800 quid at GetBike). 3-4 days of shotgun training will probably be wasted on me. I think I'd be much better with an hour or two a week from an experienced rider but bugger if I can find anything like that near me (South-West London).

I'm planning to do my theory asap. Most of it looks common sense and I did my car test years ago. The little DVD's you get seem to be filling in the blank nicely but I wouldn't want to take the same attitude to MOD1.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm doing it in stages. Did my theory test last month, CBT this month and, on my instructor's recommendation, going for my Module 1 next month with a couple of hours practice beforehand.

I'd suggest doing your CBT (which I guess you'll have to do anyway) and asking your instructor how he thinks you should proceed. Better than dropping £800 on training you may not need with instructors you might not get on with.

Theory questions are just common sense, hazard perception shouldn't be a problem if you have a few years driving experience and understand how the test works.

23? You're not old! I came back to riding after 10 years. Done the CBT and got me a 125 to practice on for a few months. Once you've got the basics back the DAS really shouldn't be a problem.

As has already been said, get yourself on a CBT course forst and get the instructors advice from there. They'll be able to advise you best.

23? You're not old! I came back to riding after 10 years. Done the CBT and got me a 125 to practice on for a few months. Once you've got the basics back the DAS really shouldn't be a problem.

As has already been said, get yourself on a CBT course forst and get the instructors advice from there. They'll be able to advise you best.

hehe, I'm starting to feel old! I'm so used to things changing every 6 months (moving about, new jobs yada yada) yet everything has gone quiet lately :P (hence the bike)

Yeah the DAS seems the obvious option but it's very pricey. I've looked at MOD1+2 (for the A2) and, touch wood, it doesn't look to be that difficult. I'm wondering with a bit of guided training I can just do that. I can't imagine I'll get a faster bike for some time (hell I just bought a CBR125, and I've had the same 'car' for 6 years) so I'm in no rush to ride superbikes.

Yeah the DAS seems the obvious option but it's very pricey

Doesn't have to be. Depends on how you want to do it, what kind of experience you have and how quickly you pick it up etc. Have you done the CBT yet or not?

Hi dieliekdawg, yes I completed my CBT about a month ago. I've got about two years riding experience but that was a long time ago and now I'm on an entirely different bike (CG > CBR).

What did you recommend? I'm a learn by doing kind of guy, I like inital instruction but I don't really "get it" till I get some time to practise myself. When I do this kind of training I find I'm just mirroring what they tell me and failing to understanding the idea which isn't great