Windy riding

supersapien

i've had a quick look and can't find anything on this,but sorry if i've missed it

a person has just joined this forum and reminded me of something i wanted to ask some experienced riders

right, Is counter steering a bad idea when it's windy? ( side wind)

as on my 125 if i counter steer it feels like the bike moves out from under you and i'm worried that if a gust of wind was to happen at the same time the bike might really go out from under ya

it might just be a 125 thing as i have had counter steering lessons on a bigger bike and it reacted a lot less to counter steering than my 125

You will naturally lean to counter act the wind otherwise you would be off, you just have to be wary of the wind changing direction...but it all comes as second nature.

just loosen your grip and let the bike move around under you :wink:

High winds are one of the worst type of weather to ride in!

I had my first experience of riding in general windy conditions and cross-winds the other day, granted I was only pillion but even then i noticed me and Christina had a natural tendancy to adjust to tackle the wind.

• 8 months later...

Riding in the wind as I found out today can be very risky, one of my mate's is on a Yamaha Aerox 50cc and he almost ended up in a bush! The best thing I found was a good way to avoid it was to ride smoothly, don't accelerate too much out of corners and get nice and tucked in to your bikes tank :wink:

Riding in the wind as I found out today can be very risky, one of my mate's is on a Yamaha Aerox 50cc and he almost ended up in a bush! :wink:

:laugh: Some people think bikers have got more chance of getting into a bush :laugh:

Strange as it may seem, the best technique for riding in a strong wind is to only hold the handle bar very lightly. By doing this you disconnect the wind impact on your body, from moving through your arms and down to the steering. Bikes on the move are inherently stable, more than one might think, even in wind, as long as you don't mess with the steering.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yer the more you do it, the easier it gets when it comes to the high wind conditions, personally as someone said before..i do the same thing, get your head down right behind the screen and stay as close to the tank as you possibly can, all staying safe at the same time of course. makes the ride a little easier to be fair, id reccomend that.