cleaning advice for newbie

jamesd1981

if thats yours in your avatar (the dirtbike) i dont see any problem with jet washing it, but beware paint may stips if it is too high powerd! you have been warned! :P

a good product to use are muc-off degreaser, works wonders on engines and inbetween the swingarm, makes them look like new! just follow instructions on bottle as i cant remember them.

just as a general clean, this is what i do:

wask with warm water and car/motorbike soap

wash with warm clean water to remove suds

dry with a towel (letting it dry on its own will leave marks, but will come off in polishing)

polish bike with auto glym arosol polish (spray onto a rag and buff away, doesnt leve any residue)

and your done

i roughly only wash my bike every month in the summer, but in winter its best to do a quick hose down everyday due to salt on the road.

hope this helps

if thats yours in your avatar (the dirtbike) i dont see any problem with jet washing it, but beware paint may stips if it is too high powerd! you have been warned! :P

a good product to use are muc-off degreaser, works wonders on engines and inbetween the swingarm, makes them look like new! just follow instructions on bottle as i cant remember them.

just as a general clean, this is what i do:

wask with warm water and car/motorbike soap

wash with warm clean water to remove suds

dry with a towel (letting it dry on its own will leave marks, but will come off in polishing)

polish bike with auto glym arosol polish (spray onto a rag and buff away, doesnt leve any residue)

and your done

i roughly only wash my bike every month in the summer, but in winter its best to do a quick hose down everyday due to salt on the road.

hope this helps

yeah thats great thanks il try the degreaser & the autoglym, just wasnt sure about the jet wash incase it soaked or flooded it :cheers:

hmm not sure on the flooding bit, cant see why it would... i used to have a trails bike and used to jet wash that and no flooding whatsoever :)

the muck-off stuf realy is a god send, but i also found WD40 a good and cheaper alternative... just DO NOT get that stuff on your tyres or brakes lol :P

hmm not sure on the flooding bit, cant see why it would... i used to have a trails bike and used to jet wash that and no flooding whatsoever :)

the muck-off stuf realy is a god send, but i also found WD40 a good and cheaper alternative... just DO NOT get that stuff on your tyres or brakes lol :P

got wd40 but il try the muck off worth the cash if its so good, wheels are a mess anyway thats why wanna use jet wash tyres ok, but rims its like baked on rust or sumit, ive no long got the bike thats me just getn it ready for road needs a bit of work and tidied up but didint pay much for it, got new front guard, luggage rack, switch gear, needs sum bolts n stuff replaced and wheels need alot of tidying :cry:

good tip for removing rust on wheels a i got alot of it on my old bike with it being chrome and using it in winter (dont buy a bike with chrome on lol, too much work!) anyway:

spray WD40 onto the rust, absalutely lather them!

leave it for about 20 mins to soak in

use one of those green soft scourer pads and scrub away!

wash vigerously with water to remove as many traces of WD40 you can from wheels and tyres (could even presure wash them)

they should come up good as new! :D

also invest in some chrome protector stuff, i think it should be ok on stainless steel wheels, which i think yours might be but read the label first it will stop them from rusting again hopefully lol!

good tip for removing rust on wheels a i got alot of it on my old bike with it being chrome and using it in winter (dont buy a bike with chrome on lol, too much work!) anyway:

spray WD40 onto the rust, absalutely lather them!

leave it for about 20 mins to soak in

use one of those green soft scourer pads and scrub away!

wash vigerously with water to remove as many traces of WD40 you can from wheels and tyres (could even presure wash them)

they should come up good as new! :D

also invest in some chrome protector stuff, i think it should be ok on stainless steel wheels, which i think yours might be but read the label first it will stop them from rusting again hopefully lol!

great nice one thanks again got loads to do 2moz now, got the new rack on today, and gave it a basic clean, think il concentrate on the wheels 2moz, and get new guard on, hopefully be ready for mot some time next week :)

Just a quick point, for generaly advice (dunno if your ride in winter) but what ever you do, DONT use warm water after riding in winter, give the bike a rinse down (hose or whatnot) with coolish water (dont wanna heat crack the bike if its still very hot) to wash the salt off. If you use hot water then it will react with the salt making the problem worse! Something to watch out for.

Just a quick point, for generaly advice (dunno if your ride in winter) but what ever you do, DONT use warm water after riding in winter, give the bike a rinse down (hose or whatnot) with coolish water (dont wanna heat crack the bike if its still very hot) to wash the salt off. If you use hot water then it will react with the salt making the problem worse! Something to watch out for.

ok thanx alot, another tip gratefully noted, il make sure and use cold, or luke warm water. :cheers:

The warm water thing is a myth btw.

In winter use a protectant, either scotoil FS365 or ACF50 both are excellent just follow the instructions.

For cleaning I have 2 routines, a quick wash and full wash.

Full wash

1 - Rinse down with pressure washer to remove loose grit.

2 - Cover with Muc Off or Fuchs Off

3 - Use brushes to work into tough areas, wheels, engine etc.

4 - Rinse off well with pressure washer

5 - Wash with either Auto Glym or similar shampoo

6 - Rinse off well

7 - Chamois down

8 - Wax with either Auto Glym or Muc Off miracle shine

9 - lube pivets (stand, leavers etc) with bike spray, wd40 or GT85

10 - lube chain with engine oil.

Quick wash is just Nos 1-4.

When using a pressure washer just dont point it direct and close at any area where there is lube, ie wheel bearings or up the exhaust (a bit of spray is ok but dont direct the jet up there lol).

In winter use a protectant, either scotoil FS365 or ACF50 both are excellent just follow the instructions.

Full wash

6 - Rinse off well

7 - Chamois down

When using a pressure washer just dont point it direct and close at any area where there is lube, ie wheel bearings or up the exhaust (a bit of spray is ok but dont direct the jet up there lol).

hey thanks alot thats seriously complete list, ive managed to do the repairs myself, going to get the cleaning products this weekend and finish it off with a seriously good clean, thanks to everyone for their advice, and suggested products much appreciated :cheers:

Full wash

6 - Rinse off well

7 - Chamois down

Good post... try not to go mental near bearings/ too close to paint work/ near radiator fins/ or swanky decals

Cleaning bikes is part of motorcycling, its normally the time when you find worn components or other stuff wrong with your machine. an old rag doused in petrol (ok parrafin/diesel for the jobsworths) is great for cleaning all the crap off your chain before re-oiling it.. DO NOT be tempted to do this with the engine running and the bike in gear on a stand... cos sooner or later you'll snag your hand and it'll all end up in tears... once your chain is spanking.. re-set your tension and apply some nice heavy gearbox oil onto it (EP90 or heavier) with a small paintbrush