Vibration... any ideas

nigelwood1

Hi Peeps

I have a vibration on the ZZR which I can feel through the bars and pegs. The missus feels it more on the back pegs. It sometimes makes my fingers go to sleep.

I have changed the Chain as it was knacked and am now running a scottoiler. Sprockets are less than 2 years old and in good condition. I am going to check the front sprocket again though.

I changed the rear wheel bearings last year but did not change the sprocket carrier bearing.

Head stock bearings were shot so changed them 2 weeks ago.

Front wheel bearings may be on the list to be done next.

Wheels are balanced and OK.

My question is; have I missed anything that could be causing the vibration????

have you got bar-ends fitted, these are designed to remove some of the vibration, or you could remove them and fill the bars with expanding foam and refit the bar-ends, a lighter grip helps too..

Went out on it today and found that if I closed the throttle and pulled in the clutch, the vibration was a lot less. I have had a similar problem when the front sprocket was knackered but I think it is OK.

Bar ends are ok and all the rest is standard so should be ok.

Seems worst when under power or on over run. Neutral throttle seems less vibration????

Haha sorry but I've got the exact same problem, seems to have been made worse by tightening the chain up. It's on the right handle bar and right foot peg. I can feel my foot going to sleep and had to take it off for a while. Pulling the clutch in stops the vibration, I assume the chain stops rotating at this point?

Nope... the chain is attached to the back wheel, so it's moving as long as the bike is. The clutch is attached to the front sprocket, not the back one.

Some bikes naturally vibrate worse than others. Might be worth checking the rubber dampers where the engine mounts to the frame just incase they're perished. If not, then you can try some pegs with thicker rubber on and some of those thick foam grips but i think the missus will have to suffer.

The odd thing is that it is not a usual vibration.

It has a few different vibes and various revs but this one has just started and got annoying.

The only thing I have found was that the drip tube for my scottoiler had disappeared. I fitted a new one but was wondering if it might be stuck in the front sprocket.

I will expose said sprocket and find out if its knacked or there is something in it.

if you have changed all your bearings except the sprocket carrier then you may as well change that one too. whilst the back wheel is off check the condition of the cush drive rubbers, you know they are worn if there is "slop" when you hit the gas.. ie a short period of slack that is taken up suddenly. It can be seen by watching the rear sprocket with the rear brake pressed and slipping the clutch a bit in 1st gear. there should be some movement but not a lot. either replace the cush rubbers or shim them with bits of plastic from an old milk carton. cheack also that your chain tension is correct.

There is an idiods guide for many of these jobs HERE