Couple of Mod 2 questions

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about the MOD 2 test.

1: When they ask you to pull in, should you indicate? I would assume yes but only if there's someone around.

2: When you pull off, right life saver is really the only one required (if you're going right).

3: Approaching a roundabout just involves slowing down, no life savers required approaching the roundabout UNLESS you stop (ie to move off again).

4: If possible, indicate on mini roundabouts

5: Should you filter on your test? I will be carrying mine out in rush hour and I'd rather not (in London no less)

6: What's the procedure for pulling in and then pulling out for the "pulling off at an angle" manoeuvre?

Cheers guys

Hey guys,

1: When they ask you to pull in, should you indicate? I would assume yes but only if there's someone around.

Yes, always indicate to pull over, and lifesaver. Make sure you are parallel to the curb as well, if you come in at an angle it will make it difficult pulling away

2: When you pull off, right life saver is really the only one required (if you're going right).

Mirrors, rear observation/lifesaver, indicator (only if it is clear and you are actually going to pull away - don't sit there with your indicator going), then pull away

3: Approaching a roundabout just involves slowing down, no life savers required approaching the roundabout UNLESS you stop (ie to move off again).

Yep, unless you're turning left or right. Doesn't hurt to give your mirrors a check though.

Yes

5: Should you filter on your test? I will be carrying mine out in rush hour and I'd rather not (in London no less)

not too sure on this, but would have thought it safer not too

6: What's the procedure for pulling in and then pulling out for the "pulling off at an angle" manoeuvre?

same as normal, just make sure you don't hit the car you are pulling away from

Cheers guys

i'm by no means an expert, but just telling you what my instructors have told me, so make sure you speak to an instructor if you can

Ah that helps.

I popped out at the weekend with the police to do bike safe and they said to me "You're perfect for your test, just do it. Don't waste money on training now. Do your Advanced Training after"

Hey guys,

Cheers guys

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Don't, unless you are turning right or left. Treat them like T-junctions...

5. I woudn't as it would be a bit risky

6. Make sure you have enough space in front of you ....

Mirrors, LH indicator, LH lifesaver, pull in, stop, cancel indicators, sort out gears (if needed), get into 1st gear, keep checking RH mirror, release clutch to biting point, RH lifesaver, if no traffic coming - RH indicator on, open throttle a bit, release clutch, let foot brake go, look ahead, go (last few things generally done quickly one after another :) )

Cheers guys, I do have a couple more now I think about it:

7# Assume you are on a small suburban road, cars parked on either side of the road leaving only a single track (or lots of gaps). If you are pulling aside for an oncoming car, should you indicate to rejoin the road?

8# where is an appropriate place to stop? When I'm riding for myself I'll just find a gap and pull in, then edge away. I don't tend to worry how close I am to a car, just providing they can get past.

9# Same scenario, you are about to take a T-Junction to the left but a car has nicely (and illegally) parked slap bang in your lane. Usually you'd stay quite close to the left, would you just keep your positioning central for the manoeuvre (assuming it's safe to move out)

7# Assume you are on a small suburban road, cars parked on either side of the road leaving only a single track (or lots of gaps). If you are pulling aside for an oncoming car, should you indicate to rejoin the road?

Not sure about this, but i would imagine you don't need to indicate, just a quick life saver. Same as you don't need to indicate when passing parked cars on the parked on the side of the road, just a lifesaver before moving out to pass them.

8# where is an appropriate place to stop? When I'm riding for myself I'll just find a gap and pull in, then edge away. I don't tend to worry how close I am to a car, just providing they can get past.

Not opposite a junction, or within a certain distance from a junction (i think 10 metres). Not on the brow of a hill. And not in front of someones driveway.

9# Same scenario, you are about to take a T-Junction to the left but a car has nicely (and illegally) parked slap bang in your lane. Usually you'd stay quite close to the left, would you just keep your positioning central for the manoeuvre (assuming it's safe to move out)

I think you would just keep central and pass them but keep indicating left, it should be obvious the traffic behind that you are turning left at the junction and not pulling in behind the car if you are still in the center of the road (instead of near the curb like normal when turning left at a t-junction

again, i'm no expert, just letting you know what i've recently been taught. You might want to check that distance from the junctions when pulling over, but i think thats what my instructor said.

Not sure about this, but i would imagine you don't need to indicate, just a quick life saver. Same as you don't need to indicate when passing parked cars on the parked on the side of the road, just a lifesaver before moving out to pass them.

Yep, agree on this one

Not opposite a junction, or within a certain distance from a junction (i think 10 metres). Not on the brow of a hill. And not in front of someones driveway.

I think for parking against somebody's driveway you MAY get a minor, but for parking on T-junction you WILL get a failure

I think you would just keep central and pass them but keep indicating left, it should be obvious the traffic behind that you are turning left at the junction and not pulling in behind the car if you are still in the center of the road (instead of near the curb like normal when turning left at a t-junction

Agree on this one, just don't get too close to the parked car...

again, i'm no expert, just letting you know what i've recently been taught. You might want to check that distance from the junctions when pulling over, but i think thats what my instructor said.

Cheers mate,

Just a quick clarification on pulling it.

Let's say you are on a suburban road, loads of cars either side of the road. There's an oncoming car and no real "ideal" space to stop.

What should you look out for, whats the best procedure for letting an oncoming car pass?

I would usually find a small gap, pull in wait and carry on. Sometimes you can't help meet a car head on (or not far off, ie, they will slow down)

Cheers mate,

Just a quick clarification on pulling it.

Let's say you are on a suburban road, loads of cars either side of the road. There's an oncoming car and no real "ideal" space to stop.

What should you look out for, whats the best procedure for letting an oncoming car pass?

I would usually find a small gap, pull in wait and carry on. Sometimes you can't help meet a car head on (or not far off, ie, they will slow down)

I think that in the real life it would be a matter of finding a space between cars and squeezing in to let it pass, but on the test they may fail you for something like "poor ahead planning" as you shouldn't make oncoming traffic to slow down or stop because of you - so what I'd do is that I'd slow down before I enter that narrow part of the street with cars parked on both side, checking if anyone is coming your way from the other side.... If they are already there, or approaching - I'd wait, if there is no-one there - I'd go trying to finish that part before anyone appears on the other side as they may enter the same part of the street and then slow down to let you squeeze to pass them - that would be your fault. I think it is unfair, but I guess that would be unlucky... At the same time, if the guy on the other side of that part of the street flushes you with headlights, giving you way - you better go, to avoid undue hesitation and creating traffic jam.

This is all IMHO, can't guarantee that it is correct.

Yeah, it's all a PITA. DSA rules, the line in the sand etc.

Soon as this is over I'll go back to my normal riding/driving (which the police said was the safe 'good' way to ride for someone of my experience).

Quite looking forward to the IAM, that seems to teach you how to be a better and generally far more competent rider (no silly rules).

Yeah, it's all a PITA. DSA rules, the line in the sand etc.

Soon as this is over I'll go back to my normal riding/driving (which the police said was the safe 'good' way to ride for someone of my experience).

Quite looking forward to the IAM, that seems to teach you how to be a better and generally far more competent rider (no silly rules).

I'll ask for BikeSafe again as I was told to p*ss off last time when I popped in for a Sunday session and they realised that I'm still with "L" plates on my trusty 125cc LOL :lol:

i find it really funny that even though after completing a CBT and being allowed on the road on a 125cc bike, you can turn up to your mod2 and do something the examiner doesn't like, and you get a fail for a serious fault, or something dangerous. Yet you're still allowed to ride around on your 125cc with L plates???????????

The whole system that's in place at the moment to be able to obtain a motorbike license is ridiculous if you ask me. I can see why a lot of people don't even bother anymore. If you haven't ever ridden a bike before, the whole process can cost nearly 1000 pounds (from theory test / CBT to mod 1 and 2, and all your training), not to mention time off work required in some cases.

I reckon a modified CBT, or a 'version 2' CBT is all thats really needed to get your bike license.

then again, i'm just bitter as i failed my mod 2 yesterday :(

i find it really funny that even though after completing a CBT and being allowed on the road on a 125cc bike, you can turn up to your mod2 and do something the examiner doesn't like, and you get a fail for a serious fault, or something dangerous. Yet you're still allowed to ride around on your 125cc with L plates???????????

The whole system that's in place at the moment to be able to obtain a motorbike license is ridiculous if you ask me. I can see why a lot of people don't even bother anymore. If you haven't ever ridden a bike before, the whole process can cost nearly 1000 pounds (from theory test / CBT to mod 1 and 2, and all your training), not to mention time off work required in some cases.

I reckon a modified CBT, or a 'version 2' CBT is all thats really needed to get your bike license.

then again, i'm just bitter as i failed my mod 2 yesterday :(

Honestly mate, I completely agree with you. It's barmy. The whole Direct Access is a farce. Either everyone should have a 2 year probation or no-one.

Theoretically if you have been riding a 125 for a couple of years, you are likely to be a better rider than someone who spent a 3-4 day crash course. At the very least you'll be able to handle the machine better.

As you said, the cost is insane. Most people I know ride for pleasure and that really screws it up. I'm doing my A2 purely because I can't justify spending such a huge amount on it!

Yes, i'm beginning to have my doubts as to whether this was such a good idea after all, especially if i fail mod 2 again, i'm not sure i can afford a third go at it (well not for a month or so anyway).

It gets to the point where you get people doing their CBT every two years as they can't be bothered with the actual test.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but in America i don't think they have to do any tests whatsoever, just apply for your license and then buy whatever bike you want! :shock: I'm not saying thats a good thing, i believe that some sort of test/training is required, but whats in place at the moment is crazy.

With mod 1 for example, you get people failing because they are 1kph below the required 50 for the swerve test!!?!?!??!???!!!! Insanity. And when are you ever going to be driving down the road and suddenly think to yourself 'i know what, this looks like a nice place to do some figure of 8's!' :roll:

I dread to think what it's going to be like in a few more years time.

rant over :P