Training advice

Guest Thundercat

Hi all just passed my theory test and am now looking at doing a DAS course.

Why das? well I will be doing commuting (after building up confidence and a experience) and some longer distant rides (confidence and experience again) if all goes well that is and a 125 might prove a little tiring on a distant ride for my old bones.

Any how... Im curious to seek peoples advice on DAS courses and their experience with them, is it worth taking a week or more off work to do it on consecutive days or stick to weekends?

Any training centers recommended (live in walton on thames, surrey) as this is where Im kinda stuck now, only people I know that bike live in Norfolk.

Extra training? Books DVDs etc I found the official CD/DVD to the theory test to be an excellent tool and got 100% on the theory not so good on the hazard perception but easily a pass.

Safety gear, buy my own or use the training centers one till I pass?

Think thats enough questions to ask on only my second post :o

Well .....

Personally, I took a week off (1996). Job done. They have moved the goalposts nowadays though, what with all the hoops you have to jump through.. so it may be beneficial to try and do it in a few stints. Get mod 1 out of the way, then concentrate on Mod 2 sort of thing...

Training schools .. can't help you there, hopefully someone local to you may have a suggestion

Kit ... if you are definate in pursuing the biking malarky, then my recommendation would be to invest in some kit ahead of training.

Helmet, boots and gloves as a minimum. Check out the clothing section here to get an idea of kit ...

Best of luck with it all, and free feel to ask questions :thumb:

The school I used breaks the course up over a few weeks incase additional training is needed or you fail mod1. I couldn't do solid weeks off work anyway so suited me nicely!

Takes months to get a mod2 booking here at the moment so probably not a good idea to try and do it in a week.

I'm not sure of your previous experience ....and time/practice on a bike does help.

When doing a 5 day DAS course all time on a bike has to be paid for until you pass mod 1 and 2 even after the 5 day course any additional time and tests if required will also need to be paid for

or

When doing it on a 125cc- you have unlimited practice- take both Mods in your own time, and seperately, still allow for a bit of training, then its free to practice what you have been shown. If you want to take a test earlier than the self booking waiting lists use a trainer as they have them booked in advance -and when you have passed go for a 250cc or 33 bhp restricted big bike. (Apparently this is stopping in October- das bike test will be taken on 600cc and only allow you to ride a 600cc)

Previous experience is limited to a few short rides, so I would say a complete new rider starting from scratch.

Getting time off is also hard for me be it weekends or weeks etc but taking a week or more off work for a DAS would probably be the easiest route.

If I then passed I was thinking of getting a 250 and riding that for a good few months before upgrading, diving stright onto a big bike I think wouldn't be the smartest route?

Thing is about das,you are going to be on a min 500cc, er5 or similar,

Once you get the confidence ,you'll see how easy they are to ride.

Noticed most on here go straight for min 500 after test,

You could always restrict it if you still needed more time,

betting you won't though.

i take it you've done your CBT already? If not, i'd book that separately to see how you get on, and then your instructor will be able to determine how many days training you will require to pass mod 1 and 2.

I took a week off work to do mine, from CBT on the Sunday through to Mod 1 on the Thursday. Once all that is out the way, you book an early mod 2 (say 9.30am) to avoid any further time off work, and any additional training you can take at the weekends.

But i would definately recommend taking some time off work and getting it done and dusted, at least mod 1 anyway, then take it from there.

Like a previous post said, if you know biking is for you, then go out and buy the kit (helmet, gloves and boots minimum) as its nicer training in your own gear - the kit you borrow will stink!! But if you're not sure, then the training school will be able to provide you with all you need (but double check with them first).

best of luck!

Kinda gone with the DAS course and have spoken to the people who are running it over the last few days and have as suggested to get at least boots jacket gloves of my own. So if it does turn out I hate it (I very much doubt it) it wont be too much of an outlay.

So off to shops tomorrow to at least get boots and try and wear them in ready for lessons, any advice here on clothing?

Thinking more commuting gear here.

BTW bikes being tought on are Suzuki GS 500.

PS thanks all so far for comments been very helpful.

take a look online for clothing.

I'd go for a textile jacket with armour, there is such a range out there to choose from you're bound to find something to suit your budget. Weise do a good range of clothing, so do Spada and RST, all of which are very good value for money.

I'm not sure of your previous experience ....and time/practice on a bike does help.

When doing a 5 day DAS course all time on a bike has to be paid for until you pass mod 1 and 2 even after the 5 day course any additional time and tests if required will also need to be paid for

or

When doing it on a 125cc- you have unlimited practice- take both Mods in your own time, and seperately, still allow for a bit of training, then its free to practice what you have been shown. If you want to take a test earlier than the self booking waiting lists use a trainer as they have them booked in advance -and when you have passed go for a 250cc or 33 bhp restricted big bike. (Apparently this is stopping in October- das bike test will be taken on 600cc and only allow you to ride a 600cc)

Apologies if I just got the wrong end of the stick, but reading the bit in brackets at the end put me into panic mode. I'd have to move quickly to beat that. I just called the school I'll be doing my CBT at (and more than likely the DAS training too) and he's said the next change to the testing and licencing is due in 2013. He did say the government could do pretty much anything in the mean time, but that there's nothing on the horizon, and he'd expect to know about changes 6 months to a year in advance.

Maybe he was wrong though, hopefully someone will correct me if so.

When I spoke to them in the past they suggested getting a 125 to practice on and once I'm ready, get a bit of training on a bigger bike and go for the DAS - best of both worlds that way. Get the miles under your belt, then get familiar with a bigger machine, then pass the test (simple as that eh? :P).

or

Apologies if I just got the wrong end of the stick, but reading the bit in brackets at the end put me into panic mode. I'd have to move quickly to beat that. I just called the school I'll be doing my CBT at (and more than likely the DAS training too) and he's said the next change to the testing and licencing is due in 2013. He did say the government could do pretty much anything in the mean time, but that there's nothing on the horizon, and he'd expect to know about changes 6 months to a year in advance.

When I spoke to them in the past they suggested getting a 125 to practice on and once I'm ready, get a bit of training on a bigger bike and go for the DAS - best of both worlds that way. Get the miles under your belt, then get familiar with a bigger machine, then pass the test (simple as that eh? :P).

Re the bit in brackets - well as you say your trainer should know best and be aware of the timescale of any changes if any are in the pipeline..... (" It was only something I heard but from what you say it seems it probably has little credence"). .... Your best of both worlds plan sounds good and should allow you plenty of practice.

or

That sounds like the best Advice Ive heard "Best of both worlds" and a really clever aproach the Miles covered On a 125 are very valuable In my opinion.