Chain too tight? Creeking.

BoB3rt

This is really hard to describe but after a long ride the other day, i was pushing the bike back into the garage and noiced at points in the wheels turning there is creeking...

sounds like the chain being stretched!

anyways the chain does have some give init, ie. i can waggle it with my little finger in the middle and it does go tighter in one spot which is standard i believe.

its like a streching noice that sounds like tapping... i hope someone understands what that means.

but i cant think of anything else it could be. Bearings?

cheers, just looking for little help or advice.

Ps. the chain is lubed!

If i understand you, nearly all bikes do it, especially after it has been ridden as metal gets bigger when warm.

But if you look the chain when not under tension (In Neutral) will catch on the runner, especially when pushed backwards.

If you are worried at all, get someone to check it for you. Remember chains can be very dangerous if not properly maintained (not just lubing)

thanks for the quick reply, I just came back to say that the noise has stopped ( since it's been layed up for 48hours )

I have never heared it do that before though, however I have just given the chain a clean and re-lube and checked for any damage but all seems ok and in tacked. ( including sproket is fine! ) just going to check my front sprocket.

going out on it soon so will keep an eye/ear for anything aswell.

Thanks again!

Mine creaks sometimes too

clean and lube usually fixes it (and sometimes an adjust) eventually it just stops though

i do sometimes notice how the chain is more to the left/ right than the sprocket (only slightly) and it sorts its self out after a little bit.

I think this could do with a change!!

first time I have opened and looked at the front sprocket tho... glad I did the amount of krapp built up in there too!

Always change the chain, and both sprockets at the same time, because if your chain is damaged from your current chain will wear the new sprockets very quickly

Holy [email protected] teeth on the sprocket shouldnt be hooked like that.Looks like 20k done on it.In fact its probably never been changed before.

Get a chain'n sprocket kit,will be so much smoother.

I wasnt aware that there should be a tight spot in the chain,doesnt sound right to me.

Holy [email protected] teeth on the sprocket shouldnt be hooked like that.Looks like 20k done on it.In fact its probably never been changed before.

Get a chain'n sprocket kit,will be so much smoother.

I wasnt aware that there should be a tight spot in the chain,doesnt sound right to me.

There is a tight spot, its why in most haynes manuals they tell you to tighten the chain but only when you have found the point where its the most tense.