Bad tick over and cleaning carbs

argentum40

When i get the GT550 running it will never tick over.. starts fiine and revs fine but for whatever reason just wont idle.. now i have read on here several times that when your bike has been standing for sometime crap can settle in the carbs etc...

now it has 4 carbs so would cleaning them out be an easy job as i dont wanna take em off, strip em to clean em then fine out i cant balance em out when tryin to start it after reassembly.. what is involved in cleaning them?... is it jets out and blown through or float bowl off and make sure its devoid of gunge :?:

I tipped half a bottle of carb cleaner in the petrol tank of my GSX 1100 this morning which has similar problems. Rode about 40 miles to run a bit through the system and it does seem a bit better, will try some more tomorrow as hissing down over here now.

Might be worth a try, easier than stripping the carbs, anyway.

FD

you would need to remove them as a bank, but once off can work on one at a time..

or raid your mums tupperware collection and keep bits seperate, i.e number bthe boxes carb1 to 4, as they are not interchangeble, and make notes of turns for screws and groves for jets, otherwise you'll get all curfuddled...

you would need to remove them as a bank, but once off can work on one at a time..

or raid your mums tupperware collection and keep bits seperate, i.e number bthe boxes carb1 to 4, as they are not interchangeble, and make notes of turns for screws and groves for jets, otherwise you'll get all curfuddled...

as i am 45 i am past borrowing my mams tupperware dishes :lol: :lol: and i am already confuddled at the thought of 4 carbs in bits an dhaving to mark how many turns etc per screw and jet :oops: :oops:

That's what i meant :mrgreen:

as i am 45 i am past borrowing my mams tupperware dishes :lol: :lol: and i am already confuddled at the thought of 4 carbs in bits an dhaving to mark how many turns etc per screw and jet :oops: :oops:

is more for idle screw etc, otherwise you'll be all in a muddle when its not running.. i.e jets sat too high or low, idle screw in too far, not enough etc... and you'll have to remove and refit...

not a fan of this myself...

and at least you know what i'm on about with tupperware, and i'm past rummaging through me mums cupboards, got my own stash nowadays.. lol

start engine run at highish revs and spray cleaner into air intake, also you can use injector cleaner just put in tank with new fuel, it will clean all sorts of crap out! if it smokes a bit you have put to much in lol

Another idea is drop a small magnet in the tank if you have rust in the tank as its an older bike it will stick to the magnet

take em off, strip em down give em a blast with carb cleaner, it's not a hard job, just do one carb at a time. :)

Looks like i'm going to have to do this myself, after dropping my bike doing a low speed turn :oops: on the way to Stormin the Castle.

It's been running crap above 3000 rpm ever since, think i might have washed some crud out of the float bowls into the main jets.

But looking on the bright my luggage and engine bars took most of the punishment, got away with a slightly bent brake lever.

Before you do owt else do the following:

Start bike and let it idle till warm.

Once warm spray WD40 around the rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine.

If the revs change when you spray the WD40 you have a leak in the inlet rubbers and they need replacing.

Before you do owt else do the following:

Start bike and let it idle till warm.

Once warm spray WD40 around the rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine.

If the revs change when you spray the WD40 you have a leak in the inlet rubbers and they need replacing.

Thanks for the advice, and i will eliminate that first, but as it was running ok before i dropped it ( i just lost my footing and the bike fell over very slowly, went past balance point)

the carbs never came into contact with anything, and i gave them the once over when i got to the rally i still think it's crud in the jets, but as i said before i will give it a try just in case :D

Just tried the WD40, deffo not the inlet stubs. i will also check the air filter to make sure it has not been contaminated with oil that found it's way into the air-box through the breather when the bike was on its side, then a carb strip down, Funny though it will rev to the red line in neutral, but as soon as it hits 3000 rpm in any gear it feels the same as if i've knocked the choke off too soon when running it from a cold start, that's why i am thinking fuel starvation caused by blocked main jets, i have also run it with the fuel cap open just to make sure it has not got a vacuum lock in the tank.

I assume then its not possible to really rag the thing?

I once had a few idle problems, but a ham fisted throttle and 30mins sorted it...

I dumped a bottle of carb cleaner into it i bought in a petrol station on the way there, and thrashed it in the low gears but made no difference, was the same in all gears, i have just emptied the carb bowls, the amount of petrol in them all seemed the same so fuel is getting in there,, got no time to strip them down now, will have to leave it till the weekend.

Dropping a bike would not knock the carbs out of balance, but they will have to be balanced after I have stripped and cleaned them. All the symptoms point to fuel starvation. So I am going to start with the obvious. And while I am at it I will fit a inline fuel filter. I hope argentum40 does not mind me hijacking his post, but as I am having similar problems I thought it might help him.

lol dont mind at all mate go for it... mine has gotten alot better ince i ran carb cleaner through it and it nearly idles now.. it could just be the idle speed is set too low as it drops just below 1k and begins to shudder lol... a slight tweek on the throttle sorts it out..