getting worried

Guest Numbers

8100+ on milage. bike was supposed to be serviced at 7500

bike runs fine but starting to worry. dont have £100 to send it for a proper service.

had the oil changed exactly a month ago as it was running dangerously low and was very dirty. also had the brake fluid topped up.

bikes a cbr 125 08 plate. previous owner always had it serviced early basically at 5000 mile service it had only dont 3500 odd or something. so since 3500 it hasent been serviced and now its done 8100 odd. i do the oposite and overdo it on milage.

going to service myself with someone who knows what there doing dont know when hopefully this week. checked the service schedule. most of its common sense like throttle opperation, fuel line, brake lights.

the brake pads have lots of wear left on them just by looking. brake light switch i have replaced on the front brake.

is there just one spark plug on this bike ? will it just need taking out and cleaning and refitting ?

so would i be ok to do the valve clearences, spark plug, clutch, steering head bearings (what are these)

another thing is the chains started to go rusty probably from me washing the bike so how do i get rid of this ?

crankcase breather. is this something i can empty now ? think it needs doing

You can easily do most of the servicing yourself. it is almost as easy as on a pushbike.

you will need a new sparkplug at that mileage.

Valve clearances should probably get checked as well (this is a bit tricky if you need to adjust, but just to check is easy. Just get the timing marks aligned precisely and buy a feeler gadge set.). Mine (Honda SH125) at 9K valves were going out of allowances and if I had not adjusted them I would have a full valve job to do soon.

You head bearings are probably fine at that age just lift the front wheel and see if the fork turns freely and does not play against the frame.

But the main thing is to keep oil changed frequently the more the better. Now you have done that you can do the rest at your own good time.

Good luck on the road!

Hi thanks for the info. il get a ngk spark plug suggested in the manual ordered.

Valve clearences i will have someone else show me how to do this. being a single cylinder engine is there 4 valves ?

not sure what the milage was when i changed the oil but guessing 700-800 miles on the new oil in a month.

the oil that i drained a month ago was very dirty. think my clutch plates have worn away as the only way to stop the clutch slip effect i get is to adjust the clutch so there is play in the end of the lever.

I think you have 2 valves, but you will see when you lift the cover :) And if you reuse the gasket try not to disturb it. Otherwise take off and clean the mating surfaces or it will leak.

I'd say 2500 miles is a sensible oil change interval for a 125cc single.

Mine is a scooter so I have no manual clutch :) do not know much, sorry.

Valve clearances at 7500.. what? no need for them yet...

also are you on weed, you must be the most paranoid guy on this forum... :lol:

ah phone just rang gotta go, i might say something useful in about 20 mins :lol:

Right i am back- yes this will be a new post lol

8100+ on milage. bike was supposed to be serviced at 7500

Its an honda, and a 125cc one at that, dont worry

bike runs fine but starting to worry. dont have £100 to send it for a proper service.

had the oil changed exactly a month ago as it was running dangerously low and was very dirty. also had the brake fluid topped up.

new oil and new fluid will be fine

bikes a cbr 125 08 plate. previous owner always had it serviced early basically at 5000 mile service it had only dont 3500 odd or something. so since 3500 it hasent been serviced and now its done 8100 odd. i do the oposite and overdo it on milage.

stick to its service interval, its not really needed yet but your guna wana go back to its proper interval, so do one now then a another one when its time pops up- probably 11/12k ?

going to service myself with someone who knows what there doing dont know when hopefully this week. checked the service schedule. most of its common sense like throttle opperation, fuel line, brake lights.

the brake pads have lots of wear left on them just by looking. brake light switch i have replaced on the front brake.

give them a quick clean up and re-grease the back of the pads

is there just one spark plug on this bike ? will it just need taking out and cleaning and refitting ?

yes one spark plug, fit a new one if the old one is looking a bit grim

so would i be ok to do the valve clearences, spark plug, clutch, steering head bearings (what are these)

im pretty sure the only thing that needs doing is the spark plug, the clutch will just need checking to ensure that the free play is fine, and to test the head barings get the bike up off the front wheel and full lock left to right, if there is no clicking etc its fine, unless you've been wheeling and landing hard then there should be nothing wrong

another thing is the chains started to go rusty probably from me washing the bike so how do i get rid of this ?

as said in the other thread, tooth brush and parafin will work wonders, then a good lube- old engine oil if you are on a budget. do this after every wash

crankcase breather. is this something i can empty now ? think it needs doing

not sure on that one. but whilst your on it, check and clean and if needs be replace the air filter

EDIT: where in the country are you based? there maybe someone off this forum close by that will help you, i know dan has offered people like me and mojo to go over to his and use his garage (many tools - the photos look epic :lol:) cuz he is sound like that :mrgreen: