so... i have a flat tyre

mealexme

(to cut a long story short, skip to the second paragraph)

This started a few days ago.. the back end feeling as though it is slipping out (very very slightly, but enough for me to notice). First noticed it after leaving a garrage forecoart so naturaly thought it must be oil on the tyres. Took is slowly from then on. After a few miles, was still hapening, but due to the wet roads and me going through more bloody oil spots on the road (rain was enough to spread the oil around but not enough to wash it away) I thought that was still the problem. I pulled over and took a look, couldnt see any oil (also checked briefly for stones), but then again wasnt sure how well oil would show up if it is on a tire. I remember a post of someone who had oil on his tire but couldnt tell it was there (untill he wsahed it off and noticed the difference). So anyway, after a while it kept happening, so i checked my tires over again, and checked they wernt flat (was on centre stand at time, so not much wieght on back wheel). Even went to the trouble of making sure the wheels wernt loose or anything...

Got back today and (finally) realised the back is going flat. Not yet totally flat though and i have ridden it over the past two days with it feeling like that, so must be a slow puncture.

As it is not completly flat im guessing the stone or whatever caused the puncture is still in there, which could explain the loss of grip at times. (tried checking, but too dark tonight) so when going to the garrage would it be advisable to leave it in or take it out? is it acting like a stopper at the moment? And sinse it is a slow puncture, could it be repaired rather than me getting a new one? Also, would it be advisable to pump the tire up before riding it again or could this disloodge the stone and make more air escape? (as i said, not totally flat)

On the other hand, I have not checked that it is a puncture, as i havnt checked the pressures for about 6 months.. but the front still seems fine, and if there is such a big difference between tires then there is prob something wrong. right?

Or should i just go pump it up and see what happens? (obv i will check for stones etc in the morning)

On the other hand, I have not checked that it is a puncture, as i havnt checked the pressures for about 6 months.. but the front still seems fine, and if there is such a big difference between tires then there is prob something wrong. right?

Or should i just go pump it up and see what happens? (obv i will check for stones etc in the morning)

I think I'd be inclined to pump the tyre up and see what happens

Also when you do pump it up, check the symetry of the cross section

I had a rear tyre lose pressure due to lack of checks and ended up having to buy a new one as it wore excessively on one side making it a wierd shape

Check your tyres regularly in future :thumb:

I do mine once a week now whether I'm riding or not

I think I'd be inclined to pump the tyre up and see what happens

Also when you do pump it up, check the symetry of the cross section

I had a rear tyre lose pressure due to lack of checks and ended up having to buy a new one as it wore excessively on one side making it a wierd shape

Check your tyres regularly in future :thumb:

I do mine once a week now whether I'm riding or not

So if i do find a stone in there thismorning, it shouldnt forse it out and make a big hole?

Thanks for the advise, i will check for ware.

if you fond something in the tyre dont pull it out untill you have got to tyre shop unless you have another method of transport.if it is going down slowly then whatever is in it is acting as a plug

:stupid:

Pump it up and see what happens :wink:

It may be rideable to a repair shop if you have a stone in it, but it may go down too quickly.......depends how far away the tyre place is and pumping it up back up might force the stone out to a point where it will no longer be acting as a plug...............

You can repair tyres but if the symetry is gone it won't be worth it

Sorry I should have put a little more detail in my response :roll: :lol: