might have found the problem with my clutch

Guest Numbers

well as some of you may know iv recently had some problems with the clutch on my bike. it occasionly slips and the engine revs like mad. when i first got my bike it did this whenever the engine reved over 8000revs. i then has the clutch adjusted and it went away but there was a lot of play in the clutch lever. then last week it slipped out 3 times when i was out

then eastanglianbiker was telling me how to adjust it i explained what i could see by the engine casing where the clutch cable meets the little lever

so working down from the top of the bike there is a cable and then a silver circular thing with threads on and then 2 nuts together and then a bracket the cable goes through.

i was told there was meant to be a a nut each side of the bracket with threads showing either side

wont be using my bike until after xmas so not in a hurry to sort it. i hope if this is set wrong it hasent done any damage to the clutch as it has been like this since i bought it at the end of august

here is a picture

[attachment=0]rsz_p1050368.jpg[/attachment]

thanks

Pitstopped for you!

2 nuts, when turned against each other, acts as a locker. Using two spanners, unlock the top nut, spin it up the thread a ways. Then by turning the bottom one you can adjust the tension in the clutch cable.

Obviously do not adjust it too much because then you will be actually pulling on the clutch. Assuming it is cable tension that is the problem, then it already sounds too tight, as you describe the clutch slipping. But you also describe play at the lever. Play at the lever is normal, but annoying. My brand new blade has play at the lever, I am in the process of sorting this out.

Have you got yaself a manual yet? Have you googled 'clutch' to gain an understanding of how it all works?

I didn't think your bike was all that old, but it could have stretch in the cable, warranting a new one....

so the 2 nuts like that is correct ?

there is load of play in the lever almost a 1/4 of the movement is just play

i sort of know how a clutch works but this cable adjustment thing im not sure about

i originnaly thought with the clutch slipping that the friction plates were worn

bike is 2 years old (08 reg) done 9300 odd miles

if it needs a new one then i will get one. could a strectched cable cause these problems ?

if i fit a new cable and set it up and there is still a large amount play in the lever and/ or clutch slip what happens next ?

I mean it could be the clutch plates, but I have no idea how quickly they wear on a bike like yours.

If you look where the cable goes to, ie how it actuates the clutch, pull the clutch lever and watch, you may get an idea of whether it is a stretched cable or not.... Got any mates near you who can have a gander?

A stretched cable will be the extra play in the lever, it doesn't explain the clutch slip, unless it is over adjusted and pulling on the clutch. Or the rider has a habit of riding and holding the lever as it doesn't take much pressure on the lever to put pressure on the clutch.

If you fit a new cable and the problem persists, then the evidence points to the clutch. It is the cheapest option is all. I wouldn't want to spend loads of money on the clutch to discover it was the cable.

i will get a new cable then. il have another look at it this morning.

i dont ride with my hand on the clutch lever but im not sure if the last owner did. its defiantly not me engaging the clutch by mistake.

just been cleaning the bike (well not really cleaning) its too cold to wash it and its really dirty so i just cleaned the swingarm/forks.

i checked the clutch and it does seem the inner cable is stretched.

i grab hold of the inner cable and i can move the clutch lever back and forth where the play normally is

i would of said looking at it that there is meant to be a nut either end of the bracket to stop the cable pulling up through the bracket as the lever is pulled.there for locking the cable into place and doing main adjustment at the bottom with fine adjust at the top by the lever.when you look at how much thread is showing i bet there is no free movement of clutch arm

:stupid:

every bike ive had or played with has the clutch cable as described above!

If i was you i would replace the cable and adjust properly talk to your dealer to see how the cable is supposed to go or check with someone who has the same bike!

If you still get slip i would say the plates are in need of replacement along with the springs!

Hi i think il ask at the honda dealer when i next go in as im not sure and i dont want to spend money if i dont need to. there is something wrong i know it and im sure there shouldnt be that much play in my clutch lever.

new question

while the weather isnt so good i want to take of the fairings and clean the bike and the inside of the fairings. some of the screws in the fairings have rounded of. the screws are rubbish and it looks like water has got into the screws. i did a google search on how to remove them and a screw extractor came up. i believe its a drill attachment and you put the attachement on the screw and then make sure its in anticlockwise and then it removes the screw.

i dont want to damage my fairings doing this. is there any other way to remove them ?

i did a google search on how to remove them and a screw extractor came up. i believe its a drill attachment and you put the attachement on the screw and then make sure its in anticlockwise and then it removes the screw.

i dont want to damage my fairings doing this. is there any other way to remove them ?

Ive used screw extractors for.....too many old screws and bolts that have rounded, they were the bain of my existense when I had my old 125. They've never caused damage, or even had an effect on anything surrounding when I've used them.

Just make sure you drill a nice pilot hole before you try to take them out, and use the biggest extractor that will work, You wouldn't believe how many I've snapped because I used one too small :P