ELECTRIC START???????

princess125

I'm at a loss at the moment, my new bike (sg125-j) has both an electric and a kick start. It is brand spanking new BUT takes forever to electric start it. Sometimes I have to kick it over a couple of times before pressing the electric start! You might tell me to just kick start it off anyway and forget the lecky start BUT I'm not heavy enough! It just sort of coughs a bit when i try! Is this normal for a new bike, is it just that it needs running in a bit???? ALL ADVICE WELCOME!!!!! :?

whats the battery life like??

what state is the plug in??

should only take one kick. 2 at most of there was a decent ammount of compressions too so you should need to be all that big...

Never owned a dual start but no it doesnt sound right.

takes forever as in its turning over but not firing up?

If its turning over healthy its not electrics, either fuel or spark if I was to hazard a guess. Have you got a manual choke lever on the left?

It might be because its now cold it needs full choke, no throttle to start as with most bikes. If your giving it gas and choke chances are your flooding the carb/s.

That any help?

When you say it coughs a bit is it turning over and trying to fire? depends on if your turning the throttle when your doing that will give us some idea if its fuel starvation or flooding.

Do you have a fuel tap? some say leave in the on position unless being stored while others turn it off each time, I'm of the opinion leave it on.

Somebody no doubt wiser than me will have the answer but thats all I could think of :roll: :lol:

Never owned a dual start but no it doesnt sound right.

takes forever as in its turning over but not firing up?

If its turning over healthy its not electrics, either fuel or spark if I was to hazard a guess. Have you got a manual choke lever on the left?

It might be because its now cold it needs full choke, no throttle to start as with most bikes. If your giving it gas and choke chances are your flooding the carb/s.

That any help?

When you say it coughs a bit is it turning over and trying to fire? depends on if your turning the throttle when your doing that will give us some idea if its fuel starvation or flooding.

Do you have a fuel tap? some say leave in the on position unless being stored while others turn it off each time, I'm of the opinion leave it on.

Somebody no doubt wiser than me will have the answer but thats all I could think of :roll: :lol:

yeah got a left hand choke thingy and i pull it out to kick start.....if i turn it over a bit on kick start but not actually fire it up THEN the electric start works so dont think its electrics...................gonna have ta ring em aren't i otherwise im gonna be f****d for me CBT xxx

is this from cold? or all the time? you need to learn how to start different bikes in different circumstances. EG from cold on mine full choke, don't touch throttle. if hot no choke bit of throttle, warm no choke no throttle, every bike is slightly different. experiment :lol:

is this from cold? or all the time? you need to learn how to start different bikes in different circumstances. EG from cold on mine full choke, don't touch throttle. if hot no choke bit of throttle, warm no choke no throttle, every bike is slightly different. experiment :lol:

Yeah from cold BUT also if I stall (newbie so that happens alot!)

As it is a brand new bike Princess--'phone the dealer and ask them to check it out---and give you some guidance on the best way to start that particular bike---no point messing about yourself--it must still be under a warranty

As it is a brand new bike Princess--'phone the dealer and ask them to check it out---and give you some guidance on the best way to start that particular bike---no point messing about yourself--it must still be under a warranty

They've already bin out....me back tyre went flat and the tick over was shite.....they said nothing else is wrong.....but it sooo is!!!! They are logistics not mechanics.........bit scared to keep ringing too be honest as they dont take me seriosly.....being a girl an all that.....think if i had a beard they'd listen.....sexist ba****ds :)

Woah dont ever say that you cant be taken seriously because your female the only reason you wont be taken seriously is because a) your not being strong enough or b) youve had enough and lose your temper ... normally i can get what i want as much as any man its only when i get seriously pissed off that i involve someone else and its normally due to the person on the other end of the phone being totally incompetant!

The bike is new unless your happy they have to come sort it or get ot checked to make sure there isnt a problem if not tell them to come take the bike and give you your money back and go elsewhere!

To me it sounds like a spark problem as after you have kicked it over it goes with the electric, is the battery kicking out enough amps? I believe that sometimes a battery can appear perfectly fine but not have enough juice in it still.

Thats what I have seen at work, maybe not be connectd with anything with you, hope you get sorted soon enough

To me it sounds like a spark problem as after you have kicked it over it goes with the electric, is the battery kicking out enough amps? I believe that sometimes a battery can appear perfectly fine but not have enough juice in it still.

Thats what I have seen at work, maybe not be connectd with anything with you, hope you get sorted soon enough

Thank you millions.....sounds spot on! xx

Your not trying to give the bike any throttle when starting it are you? My cbr failed to start if i had any amount of throttle on! It just gassed it up.

just a thought!

Your not trying to give the bike any throttle when starting it are you? My cbr failed to start if i had any amount of throttle on! It just gassed it up.

just a thought!

strangley every bike ive had wont start without some throttle.

as others have said experiment a bit, my old 125 wouldnt start with more than 1/3 choke no matter how cold it was. then it wouldnt tickover till nearly warm. i dont think the carbs are that amazing on some of the cheaper bikes out there.

Thank you to EVERYONE who helped me out. I phoned the bike shop and explained everything and was very clear about the fact that I wasn't happy, he was fantastic, totally different from before! He's given me alot of advice and said to ring back any time I want. As it's a new bike and I'm only going up an down the road to practise I'm not giving the battery time to charge therefore the electric start is pretty much dead. He said to do my CBT as that will run it in a bit and if there's any more probs then bring it in straight away. I'm very happy! Thanks again guys, you was wonderful xxxxx :)

yup that'd make sense, lots of starts & little running time = flat batt.

i dont know if you have the lights on when your trying to start, if you do try it with them off. might be just enough extra juice spare for it to catch.

good to hear the shop is responding well.

Well done Princess--thought they would be alright about it---

-----NOW---

---- you need to buy a small battery charger unit that you put terminals on your bike battery which will have a connector at the end so can keep them on all the time----then once a week[or so] put the 3 pin plug in the mains and join the two connectors together and switch on the socket then it will keep your battery charged up-----if it is not a sealed battery make sure you got some distilled water to keep the battery topped up---

--you can get a perfectly adequate one off Ebay--this will do

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-6-12-V ... dZViewItem