Question

Hi

I'm 19 and I've got a full driver's license for a car. I want to get a bike though, and I know I need to pass the CBT course in order to do so.

My question is: after I've passed CBT, do I need to do the motorcycle theory test and practical tests in order to ride?

Thanks!

I can tell the OP with 100% certainly that under the current law, they can ride a bike of up to 125cc (i.e. a small bike) on a provisional licence, with a maximum power output of 11kW (approx 14.6BHP), if they have a valid CBT (and insurance and all that lot of course :wink: ) - CBT certificates only last 2 years then need renewing unless you've attained a full licence.

Nothing else is required currently, unless you want to ride a bigger/more powerful bike than that (in which case, theory test, mod 1 practical test and mod 2 practical test must be passed, in that order). Either way, further training is always recommended due to the high risk of death and personal injury as an inexperienced rider.

This is all subject to some changes over the next few years.

Thanks for your input guys. That's what I needed to know.

I booked my CBT for tomorrow. Don't really want a big, powerful bike so I'm won't be going for the full license just yet.

I'm looking to buy a Yamaha YZF-R125. What do you think? Good for a first bike?

Cheers ;)

I'm looking to buy a Yamaha YZF-R125. What do you think? Good for a first bike?

Cheers ;)

Likely to be a terrible choice as a first bike if price and reliability are important in the slightest way to you. Commuters are the most sensible choice.

Come on Ingah... Reliability?? Have you heard about any issues with R125?

It's not the bike that's the problem per se. It's the likelihood of the previous 17 year old owners to have been twonks, skimping on the servicing, and ragging it at all times, and crashing it once and a while. You said yourself:

If you looking for something cheap or some real bargain it may be risky

Logically, there are few learners in the circumstances where they've got money to burn.

And also remember, this is the same person that asked:

is it a good idea to buy without having looked at it?

So if he spends all his money on some unseen R125, and then the thing has a raft of inevitable problems caused by previous owners (that have also spent all their money on buying the bike leaving none to maintain/repair it), he's going to be off road, no bike to use, and get peed off, then stop biking and tell everyone how crap it is. If he spends £500-£1000 on a CG/YBR/equivalent, then at least he'll have the money to look after it and put it right, and besides which the liklihood of it being thrashed to death is lower.

That's without thinking about the inevitable newbie drop, where those fancy fairings are wrecked (£££££), vs the commuter drop, when all you do is bang the footpeg straight again with a hammer! (£2 - for a hammer and a tub of elbow grease).

My advice is consistent for newbies, it's always along the lines of "get what you can afford to crash/otherwise write off". If the engine goes pop, then you want to be in a situation where you can get yourself something else, which you can't if you've spent every penny on a bling bike.

There's an awesome post on BCF (from the legend "teflon-mike") i can go dig up if anyone's particularly interested in the whys. He's right on the button with this stuff (and an ex-instructor too), and seems to have hours to explain the situation in great deal, as he has done! Personally, i've got an exam tomorrow, so that'll be all for now.