New chain and sprocket?

sparkeh9

I cleaned my bike yesterday including my chain, degreased and relubed after tightening it.

When spinning the wheel it was fine until a point, then got very stiff for a few cm of a revolution then spun freely again, I think it's just 1 link that seems to be stiff.

New chain and sprocket time? or is there some way to fix it?

depends on how much adjustment you have left in the chain and as you now know it has a tight spot make sure you use that as reference point for chain tension.get it well lubed up and see how it goes,if it is well on the way to full extent of adjustment then might well be time to replace

Pull the chain off the very back of the rear sprocket. Any more than 3mm, replace the lot.

Easier way (possibly less accurate, in which case i'm sure to be corrected), if it exposes half a sprocket tooth or more, it's gone.

I'd look to free up any seized links by bathing in paraffin and working them free.

I clean my chain with paraffin , but I'm careful NOT to work it into the seals. Each link has grease in all four seals and too much degreaser will wash it out and create stiff links. O and X ring chains need gentle cleaning to maximise their lifespan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

once that happens its best to replace it. had it with my bike there was one super tight spot and the rest of the chain was normal. so i set the tight spot so it was the correct tension. problem then is the rest of the chain is too loose. you could try taking the chain of and soaking it in wd40 or something. i tried this but i couldnt free up evrey link and it takes ages. so i just got new chain and sprockets