Forgetting to oil the air filter

Juggler

Well, I replaced the air filter about 50 miles ago and only afterwards realized I forgot to oil it. I've ordered some appropriate gear oil online since but I'm wondering what the likely damage would be long term? So far, it's been running a beauty but I've noticed the oil which I recently replaced has become dirty rather quickly.

Obviously not using it for ride out until it's sorted but, I need it for work tonight (5 miles in total). I say need, I suppose I could walk but you know. Is this a real no, no? Your thoughts please?

The oil on the filter stops the really tiny tiny particles getting past. Tbh I think you will be fine and I wouldnt worry. If you need too I have used baby oil on the filter which will work the same its better than nothing

Well, I rode it to work. No problems so far. I checked the Haynes manual which recommended SAE80 or 90 Gear oil. If unavailable 30 engine oil. I imagine any oil with low viscosity would do the trick.

Well, I rode it to work. No problems so far. I checked the Haynes manual which recommended SAE80 or 90 Gear oil. If unavailable 30 engine oil. I imagine any oil with low viscosity would do the trick.

gear oil isnt low viscosity!! its one of the thickest you use on any vehicle!

it should already be pre oiled :?

what bike is it what oil filter is it? a lot of oil filters dont require oiling as you replace them at regular service intervals :)

You're putting oil on your paper filter? I've got Honda Xr 125 L5 and it's a paper filter. Don't think you put oil on paper filter? :| Doesn't mention it in the Honda manual.

If someone's put an old CG engine on your XR L5 then it would be a sponge filter, if bought OEM it will be pre oiled.