Brake Caliper Dilema !

polecat

The CB 250 T brake caliper on my 1978 bike is a little tired and on closer inspection I have noticed one of the pin boots is broken and the retaining clip seems to be missing.

The whole unit appears to be suffering from corrosion inside where the little observation window broke some years ago.

It is working but slightly concerned about it sticking sometimes

Should I try and free it up and get it back on without dismantling it or should I strip it down,clean it all up and try and get the new parts from god knows where ??? (david silver ect only have seals and piston)

or should I try and buy another caliper of maby a superdream and hope it fits

Any advice welcome ....AKA what would you do ?

Yeah, strip n clean everything. Carefully remove dust and fluid seals and clean grooves behind em. Get everything clean n shiny. If you can't get or afford new fluid seals, try a bearing/seal supplier and have a look at your old ones if all else fails. When rebuilding, get some Red rubber grease off eBay and smear it on the seal faces. I know it's grease , but it's made for this job!!! Good luck, Alan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies I thought stripping it was the right thing to but needed the green light from TMBF :D

One item is now currently about 20 pieces on my bench :shock:

It sounds fairly nackered but I can't tell

:worthless:

Lets have a gander of what we have here. :)

See if it needs replacing or just general maintainence.

Ill put a couple in my restoration thread in old bikes and bikers tonight :)