Squeaky brakes after fitting new pads.

MtotheJ

Hey all,

Haven't been around for aaaaages due to my quest to become a fully qualified solicitor, nearly there (kind of) :wink:

Anywayyyy, just fitted new braided hoses and brake pads to my bike a couple of weeks ago and got the restriction off the bike today (WOOOOOOO!!!!) and Ive noticed that I have a bit of a squeak when applying the front brake. I know that the answer may well be "take apart the callipers put copper ease on the back of the pads and put back together again" but I was wandering if there was anything else I could do before getting to that stage. Havent got much time with exams and revision and all :).

Thanks!

Have a look at the pads, look for specs of grit or dust. Give em a wipe with a clean rag dampened with brake cleaner. Get a fine file and rub it along the Sharp edges of the pads. Make sure your anti chatter shims are correctly located.

Hey all,

Haven't been around for aaaaages due to my quest to become a fully qualified solicitor, nearly there (kind of) :wink:

Anywayyyy, just fitted new braided hoses and brake pads to my bike a couple of weeks ago and got the restriction off the bike today (WOOOOOOO!!!!)

Ah so you see what I mean by feeling easily 3x the power? :lol: -Well it is!

Hey all,

Anywayyyy, just fitted new braided hoses and brake pads to my bike a couple of weeks ago and got the restriction off the bike today (WOOOOOOO!!!!)

Ah so you see what I mean by feeling easily 3x the power? :lol: -Well it is!

Dont really notice it until it hits the top end but scared myself a bit when I hit the powerband!

Dont cut corners with brakes, get the pads out, make sure you've cleaned the pistons properly and get the copper slip out, that way you can brake without having any doubts

I gave the pistons the most through clean possible when I put the new lines on so I doubt its that. I think I must not have been generous enough on the copper slip. Will have take it apart at some point :(

Just put some copper slip on the back of the pads and see if that helps, if not give it a good run and brake nice and hard from a good speed :thumb:

It might just be a sharp edge in need of burning off. Or file as said above.

Just put some copper slip on the back of the pads and see if that helps, if not give it a good run and brake nice and hard from a good speed :thumb:

Was told not to brake too hard for the first few hundred miles or so to make sure the pads dont glaze over :|

I gave the pistons the most through clean possible when I put the new lines on so I doubt its that. I think I must not have been generous enough on the copper slip. Will have take it apart at some point :(

You wont do til about 7k unless you really give it the beans, which will take time til you have confidence to do!

Was told not to brake too hard for the first few hundred miles or so to make sure the pads dont glaze over :|

Glazing is just when the pads overheat isn't it. I don't see that being a big problem. I usually got told do 25 miles before I go nuts on them and I haven't had any big problems!