Carb Problem?

Guest London_Ed

Hi, I am only on a CBT so recently bought a 125, and having no insurance at the time of veiwing I never rode the bike, just done what I could on a driveway....

Since I started using the bike I have noticed the following, exhaust is very smokey when bike is started from cold and the smoke has a strong petrol smell in it, when riding there can be a delay in the throttle, and to my inexperienced ear I think the engine is ticking over a bit fast when idle

The bike is only a year old and mileage is only 3000

Any and all advice welcomed

hmmm tickover speed? speaking purely from the bikes Ive had Id say 750-1000 rpm tickover up to 3000rpm full choke. You got a rev counter on that?

How long is it sat between you riding it? If its left for weeks it would smoke a bit on startup.

Cheers, its tick over speed is just guess work, haven't got a rev counter it just "sounds" like its ticking over faster than i'd expect

The smoke is quite bad when first started "each day" but clears up a lot once the engine is warm but the petrol smell is always present

Do you think there could be an exhaust problem cause it has been mentioned to me that the original owner had a chrome one fitted before putting it up for sale so it must have been recently swapped

Could it somehow explain the lag in throttle response too?

Thanks

Ed

Pretty difficult for any of us to answer that one without seein it.

If he had an aftermarket one on and put the original back on for selling, unless he buggered about with the jets / fuelling it should be fine.