Wheel bearing

Donnie Brasco

Just had a look at my front wheel bearing today and those ball bearings inside it are visible to the eye,are they not ment to be completely sealed?is it dangerous?

Just took a photo,as you can see a ball bearing is visible,sorry I only have a camera phone,hope it helps.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8689/dsc00873qj.jpg

James

there would normally be a dust seal over that and its needs greasing NOW that is so dry it could break up and shatter

The dust seal you're reffering to,is it that rubber ring which has come off in the pic?Do I need to grease it inside and try to fit that rubber was back in?I've got some lithium based grease.

Has it got a centre stand? If so put a jack under front end , but make sure it,s stable. Loosen bolts before jacking up. Remove wheel and drift bearing out through other bearing. Tap new bearing in using only outer race. Fit new dust seal outside bearing. Bearing comes with fitted seals.

Megawatt the bike dosen't have a centre stand,am I looking for an hrs labour at a garage? :roll:

Colin what you see on the axle is a mixture of dirt and grease,do they sell wheel bearings in pairs?do I need one for either side?

No mate , probably two. I could do it in an hour, but a garage will charge you for two. Get a price for doing the whole job from the garage and then price up some bearings and a paddock stand? :mrgreen:

No mate , probably two. I could do it in an hour, but a garage will charge you for two. Get a price for doing the whole job from the garage and then price up some bearings and a paddock stand? :mrgreen:

2hrs for taking the wheel off and replace a bearing? :shock:

Will ask the mechanic and see what he says,purchased some new pads,might ask them to do that as well while they're at it.

Good price that, get him to sort your brakes. Don,t know why manual said break into hydraulics????

Not sure what the last bit ment,anyhow I've a got a grease monkey,told him about my pads and he said something isn't right,he'll take a look tomorrow