Care of spokes.

Throttled

My new, old bike has wire spokes.

Has anyone got any tips for caring for spokes, particularly something to protect them from muck and corrosion?

Is it the case, as I saw once on a programme about either an MG or an E-Type that you tap the spokes to check they are OK?

The wheel rim is black and the spokes are silver, with the finish showing signs of pitting. Could I paint them?

Anything else I have not thought of?! I had a look on the internet and there is a not a great deal of info.

Thanks.

Has anyone got any tips for caring for spokes, particularly something to protect them from muck and corrosion?

Is it the case, as I saw once on a programme about either an MG or an E-Type that you tap the spokes to check they are OK?

The wheel rim is black and the spokes are silver, with the finish showing signs of pitting. Could I paint them?

Anything else I have not thought of?! I had a look on the internet and there is a not a great deal of info.

Thanks.

Wire wool for getting rust off them.

And yes, tap them with a stick one after the other. If one makes a distinctively different noise then it's probably a broken/loose spoke. Can check the entire wheel in 5-10 seconds this way.

I'd imagine you can use the same metal protection you'd use elsewhere (i.e. ACF/FS365, or simply regular cleaning, or if you're like me, nothing!)

Edited by Ingah

Thanks.

Wire wool for getting rust off them.

but wire wool scratches, try (and dont laugh at this) scrunched up kitchen foil... it actually works!

I would worry about wire wool, the spokes are already pitted. The idea of tin foil makes my skin crawl like hearing fingernails across a blackboard :shock:

I have got ACF50.

if you do check the spokes and find any loose or broken make sure you tension them up properly as the spokes make the wheel run true if theres a few too tight in one spot it will cause a buckle :)

If one makes a distinctively different noise then it's probably a broken spoke.

It may be a broken spoke, more likely that it just needs tightening.

Right you are :oops:

(Casually EFA :lol: )

Thanks Colin, that would work better than a suggestion on Yout Tube to wrap a thin rag around each spoke and pull one way then the other to clean them. Labourious or what?