How does a pillion affect control/handling?

donhuzayfa

Whenever I think of a pillion, I think that that amount of extra weight can be mega hard on corners nd stuff??

It's not hard, just different. I liken it to riding my bike through a big bowl of thick custard. Everything takes just that little bit longer. Accelerating, braking, cornering... just imagine doing it all in slo-mo... then DO IT in slo-mo for real :P

First thing though is to make sure your pillion knows how to behave. I tell mine to imagine they're a rucsac on my back, and ask them to make sure they don't shift around on the seat when cornering, don't lean unless I lean, and not to get off until I let them know I'm ready.

Would agree with Bogof on the slo-mo thing. Particularly important when braking as you need to give yourself more time.

It's also important to ride smoothly, particularly gear changes or there may be a clash of helmets. lol.

Slow manouvering can be a bit ungainly so, if you need to park-up in a tight spot, turn round in the carpark etc.. it is best to ask them to get off while you do it - particularly on a dodgy surface like gravel.

Once you are on the move it isn't too much of a problem as long as they are a well-behaved pillion and don't keep turning round to see the bike behind (voice of experience!!).

A word of warning, when my daughter was younger she had a tendency to fall asleep on the back, not recommended!!!

If you have the right pillion and there good most handling problems seem to diminish.

:)

Tbh a decent rider with a decent pillion doesnt have much trouble, i have followed a few people and even with a new pillion some people would have trouble keeping up, best thing is to just try it and see how it feels to you and the bike you ride as I said that makes a huge difference.

Ah.jpg.e5b0abd185c4ac5c54d221ec0ca3ad80.jpg

You won't have any problems with an experienced pillion. Just need to adjust braking distances. Mine corners better two up.

You may need to adjust the rear suspension preload.

With a new pillion have a word with them about how the bike leans round corners and not to sit up. Show them where to hang on to the bike and explain to sit still and only comfort shuffle on the straights. (No standing up and waving at mates on a mini roundabout)

Telegraph your actions. Touching the brakes before applying them fully gives your passenger time to brace. Same when you set off. Be smooth through the gears, feathering throttle and clutch helps.

The best bit about riding two up is how fast and agile the bike feels when they get off 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

i know this is a fairly old post but would just like to add :)

i had a quick read of the above and theres lots of mention about braking and cornering but i find if you take thinks at about 75% pace it is easy, and very quick to get used to, allowing double the braking time, and being very cautious in wet weather.

Also I always tell them to go for a full on hug, (may squish my nuts on my lil 400) but stops me ending up with two legs under each armpit and my spare helmet bouncing off the road behind me when i accelerate quite hard. Also with more powerful bikes (not that mine is particularly powerful) watch for the front coming up under moderate to hard acceleration as its easier to flip and you can loose steering with so little weight over the front :)

ride safe :)

I'm guessing you don't carry male pillions Swiss Rolls?!? :lol:

If your pillion behaves and doesn't fidget then usually once you're moving it's not that much different I don't think. I sometimes forget that I'm riding 2 up until I hit the brakes a bit harder than I should!

Make sure you know and trust your pillion or at the very least they are experienced pillion riders

Something to make you laugh and cringe

Many many years ago when I were a wee lad with a GP100 (my first bike) I had two incidents with pillions. One amusing the other not so amusing.

Amusing

I was an apprentice carpenter at college giving regular pillion rides to one of my mates

He is a tall lad standing at over 6foot 4inches back then

Anyway, at the junction and pulled away on my not very powerful steed

I didnt realise he had stood up so wasn't (due to his height) actually sat on the seat

I left him stood in the middle of the road :lol: :cheers:

Not so amusing

Giving a pillion to a different (work) aquaintance on the same bike and the fooker jumped off mid lean on a roundabout because he thought we werent going to make it :evil:

That was the end of his lift to work.

Giving a pillion to a different (work) aquaintance on the same bike and the fooker jumped off mid lean on a roundabout because he thought we werent going to make it :evil:

That was the end of his lift to work.

I've seen the way you ride! I don't blame him :lol: :seeya: