Questions About Beginner gear.

Guest mChavez

Hello!

I'm considering buying myself a bike (at the moment just a 125cc for commuting to work and learning to ride), however, being a part-time student I'm a bit short on the budget so I'm looking for advice on what clothes to purchase.

I've been told that I should expect to spend at least £150 on a good helmet. What helmets can you recommend (apart from "the ones that fit'' - I've read the sticky thread)?

Is there much difference between say Takai M05-sv (£100)

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/helme/kla ... black.html

Or the shark s900 (£150)

http://www.twowheels.co.uk/clothing/det ... p?item=140

Where is the best place to buy gear? I bit of googling lead me to Hein Gericke shops and they seem reasonably priced and there's one nearby.

Hence, how good are Hein Gericke Air3 jackets/pants? Any better options for that money (~£100 a piece)?.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/ ... ilber.html

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/ ... hwarz.html

I couldn't find any recent threads like this one but if there were some guides/reviews for buying beginner gear, I'd be grateful if you could post a link to them.

Thanks

Chavez

Also consider buying nearly new gear from eBay. Not your helmet though. Buy boots with ankle support and clothing with padding in shoulders, elbows, back, knees and hips. Good quality leather gloves as well.

I've been told that I should expect to spend at least £150 on a good helmet.

I would NEVER spend less than 27p on a helmet. So long as it scores 5* here http://www.sharp.direct.gov.uk it's as safe as it can be. Some £350 helmets only score 2*, price means NOTHING in terms of safety.

If you can get to a bike show do that and buy end of season gear mate. Alternatively find a place that sells it. I bought mine from George White in Swindon. Loads of choice and good prices.

I have the shark s900 lid and it is good. It will have more padding and may be quieter than cheaper lids.

Stu

I have never spent £150 on a helmet, always upto this last time bought one of last seasons designs rather than bang upto date ones.

I wouldnt put too much faith in sharp tests either, fit is more important.

Asw for hein gericke stuff had mine 8 years now and when I need some new stuff its the first place i will go good value and good quality!

Some, all, or none of these may be important to you when buying your helmet:

Is it quiet (wind noise)

Does it have removable padding for easy cleaning

Good air vents for summer

Replacement visor costs

Ease of removing visors

Can it take a pinlock insert (stops fogging)

Probably missed something off the list. Fit is definitely the most important though.

For other gear if you're commuting then you will need waterproof kit if your planning on riding in all weather.

Also will you have separate summer and winter kit or removable thermal linings. One thing I've noticed with starting early is it can be cold in the morning and red hot going home, so having removable layers is helpful. You can also just use extra layers underneath of course.

I've been told that I should expect to spend at least £150 on a good helmet.

In case you didn't get the message, whoever told you that is an idiot!

Giving new starters advice like that often causes them to spend £150+ on a helmet that will protect less than a £30 one in a road traffic accident and not have enough money to spend on a decent jacket, boots and trousers.

Listen to the advice on here as regards recommendations, check the Sharp ratings, try some on and buy one that fits and that you like.

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll keep looking for gear but at the moment it seems like I'll have to settle with a "sheltex" set.

I live in Scotland so I don't expect too many hot days up here :).

Can anyone recommend a good helmet for under £100? :)

Thank you.

PS do all helmets get on well with glasses?

PS do all helmets get on well with glasses?

No, so get to a shop and try a few. Fit and comfort are important and you can't check that on t'internet!

Shoei helmets don't fit my head, nevermind my glasses.

Vemar and AGV for me.

Next time you buy glasses and they're offering two pairs for one, pick a pair with the bike in mind.

Fashionable wide arms act like blinkers and skinny metal frames bend as you squeeze them into the helmet. Tiny lenses let the wind in your eyes when riding in rain with the visor cracked.

Take some one with you with a bit of experience when shopping as some sales staff care only about commission.

Minimum for me would be leather jacket, over ankle stout boots, and leather gloves.

Don't pay a lot for your first gear cos it's never the perfect choice and you will replace it. 8-)

I bought my helmet off eBay. It was £30 cheaper than in the shop and when I asked the salesman if he could match the price the answer was no. He was fine about it and I have subsequently bought a bike, had it serviced and made other purchases from them.

My jacket and trousers were mispriced on eBay and the seller honoured the mistake. I bought what I have as it matched my shopping list of textile, armour including back armour that is not the foam stuff and with vents for the summer.

I did buy boots in a dealers to get the right fit and their price was the same as eBay.

Caberg & Nitro do reasonable lids sub-£100. But you really do need to try them on. I think some of the Shark lids have a bit inside that can be removed to allow glasses to be worn more easily but they may be outside your price range.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

I'm currently choosing between the HG Nagano/Atlas and HG Journey sets. Both seem to have good reviews and have similar specs.

Any advice on which one is better would be appreciated.

Thank you.