DSA Guide - Braking

Hi,

I'm reading the "Learning to Ride" DSA book. In the section about Module 2 -> Controls -> Brakes (page 92) the "faults to avoid" says:

"You shouldn't brake harshly, except in an emergency. Use either the front or rear brake alone."

I very often use the rear brake alone, which is what I was taught on by CBT.

What's the deal?

"You shouldn't brake harshly, except in an emergency. Use either the front or rear brake alone."

I very often use the rear brake alone, which is what I was taught on by CBT.

What's the deal?

Is that a direct quote, as it seems to be saying that you should use either alone, which makes little sense when read in conjunction with your next sentence!

Yep, that's verbatim. It looks like this:

Faults to avoid - You shouldn't brake

harshly, except in an emergency. Use either

the front or rear brake alone.

I'm reading that as:

1) You shouldn't brake harshly, except in an emergency.

2) You shouldn't use either the front or rear brake alone.

And applying even more pedantry, (2) becomes:

2a) You shouldn't use the front brake alone.

2b) You shouldn't use the rear brake alone.

So, 2b or not 2b? :P

Why the hell were you told to use the rear brake only

I have no idea! That's what I was told. As a novice on CBT how was I to know I should question it?

If you use the rear brake only enjoy your accidents ?)

Never come anywhere near having an accident. Been riding for 1 a year, done about 2000 miles.

Bear in mind though, that the rear (drum) brakes on an 11 year old Yamaha SR125 Custom, are like pushing your foot into a sponge.

Why the hell were you told to use the rear brake only if i was to use one brake only it would be the front....oh wait I do!

Erm.... slow speed control ofc! :shock: Remember U turns?

1) You shouldn't brake harshly, except in an emergency.

2) You shouldn't use either the front or rear brake alone.

And applying even more pedantry, (2) becomes:

2a) You shouldn't use the front brake alone.

2b) You shouldn't use the rear brake alone.

So, 2b or not 2b? :P

Makes sense now, and I agree other than slow speed control when you want to drag the rear brake

Makes sense now, and I agree other than slow speed control when you want to drag the rear brake

So rear-only is okay for the slow stuff.

Looks like I need to start using the front more.

Thanks for the replies.

Why the hell were you told to use the rear brake only if i was to use one brake only it would be the front....oh wait I do!

Erm.... slow speed control ofc! :shock: Remember U turns?

First of all its not what were talking about here and secondly I dont use rear brake for slow control or when doing u turns,apart from anything else if needs be i can put my foot down but I use clutch control always have, I dont use the rear brake have said that many times on this forum.

I see this thread as a reason not to read these publications there more trouble than there worth!!

:lol: trying to get back on topic!

I didn't use the back brake at all for quite a while!

they tend to be pretty feeble on sports bikes anyway.

I use the back brake gently quite often on the fazer

especially when I've got a pillion.

using the back brake on it's own is not a good idea!

Bloody hell ladies! Are you two going to the Rally? Id like ring side tickets please.

With regards to the OP during my CBT I was told to only use the rear brake and never the front, however once I started training on bigger backs I was told to always use the front and never the rear, and this was with the same company!

I personally use the front brake 95% of the time, only time I would use the back is to make sure its still working or when Im stationary and need to use both my hands for something (hand gestures, turn my ipod on etc)

When I was doing my cbt I was told to use the back brake at first, then shown to gently use the front brake. I was told the reason for this is they do not want brand new learners getting a fright and grabbing a handful of front brake then being put off for life when they go flying over the handlebars :shock:

once I was on to proper lessons I was taught more about braking and how/when to use the front and back brakes.

When I was doing my cbt I was told to use the back brake at first, then shown to gently use the front brake. I was told the reason for this is they do not want brand new learners getting a fright and grabbing a handful of front brake then being put off for life when they go flying over the handlebars :shock:

once I was on to proper lessons I was taught more about braking and how/when to use the front and back brakes.

I guess this is where the instructor was coming from on my CBT. The problem is I've never had an instructor since, so I never learnt to do anything else!

I'm trying to "unlearn" so much back-brake use. It's quite hard when you're in the habit.

I guess this is where the instructor was coming from on my CBT. The problem is I've never had an instructor since, so I never learnt to do anything else!

I'm trying to "unlearn" so much back-brake use. It's quite hard when you're in the habit.

And you have just discovered ONE of the benefits of accessing professional training...

The front brake is your stopping brake. Apart from slow speeds the rear brake is virtually useless for serious braking, but using it a little does tend to stabilise the bike a bit, imo.

If you need to brake hard and mostly use your rear you will end up coming off eventually because there is not enough weight on the rear wheel (plus the rear brake is usually teeny).

The instructors teach to use the rear mostly because newbies will grab a handful of front and have an accident. It takes a bit of practise to avoid grabbing a handful when you get taken by surprise. Teaching to just use the rear seems stupid. My instructor kept telling me to keep my hands away from that front brake, BUT, they also said to use 70/30 in the dry, 50/50 in the wet, etc in "classrooms".

I see this thread as a reason not to read these publications there more trouble than there worth!!

I'm with you techno. Waste of time reading all this good advice in these subversive publications. I mean, look at Roadcraft - well it's just coppers bigging up isn't it. While we're at it, shall we ban instructors too? Another waste of time listening to them wittering on. They're just on a big ego trip really.

Learn by your mistakes is best, if you don't kill yourself or others, you'll be a better rider - or at least think you are, and that's what matters.

Waste of time reading all this good advice in these subversive publications. I mean, look at Roadcraft - well it's just coppers bigging up isn't it. While we're at it, shall we ban instructors too? Another waste of time listening to them wittering on. They're just on a big ego trip really.

That's quite funny, and also quite sad that some people really do think that way. :shock:

I dont think road craft was wrote by a copper.

Whilst the books were originally put together at the Metropolitan Police Driving School at Hendon, and intended for police drivers and riders, they have been available for sale to the general public since the mid-1950s. Civilian advanced driving organisations such as the Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA base their teaching and advanced motoring tests on Roadcraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft

OK, if you want to be pedantic, this is from the back cover of 'Roadcraft'

Motorcycle Roadcraft has been developed under the guidance of a group of police motorcycle trainers, with input from police riders, trainees and civilian experts, and is for police trainees and other riders concerned with getting the best from their machines.

and if you want more, inside in the acknowledgements, - This edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft was initiated by the Police Foundation at the request of the Association of Chief Police Officers. It was produced by the National Police Driving Schools' Conference Motorcycle Roadcraft Working Party in conjunction with the Police Foundation and the National Extension College

So you're right, it wasn't 'wrote' by a copper, just loads of them :roll: