Mod 2 on moday, things to watch for....

Hi all, i have my module 2 coming up this monday, the 27th and was wandering if people could give me some pointers on what they picked up minors for or what people predominantly fail for. I am not nervous or overconfident, just ready :)

Mine is on a week today. I have been watching Mod 2 rides on You Tube.

Something I had not relaised was that between the eye sight test, the questions about the bike and the ride in and out of the test centre, there is only about 30 minutes of riding to do.

I get the impression that so long as you remember your lifesavers, make mirror checks obvious to the examiner, err on the side of safety at junctions and round a bouts without hesitating too much and watch for signs and speed limits you are most of the way to a pass.

I get the impression that so long as you remember your lifesavers, make mirror checks obvious to the examiner, err on the side of safety at junctions and round a bouts without hesitating too much and watch for signs and speed limits you are most of the way to a pass.

That sounds about right. Best thing is to treat it as a rideout with a satnav in your ear. Enjoy it, and relax!

I feel quiety confident about mine as I have my own bike and have been riding for 6 months now. My last two lessons have been me being folowed by an instructor giving directions and chatting when we stop.

My biggest worry is approaching traffic lights that start to change, do I brake heavily or boot it when you get that point where either you risk going over the white line or running an amber as it changes to red :shock:

My biggest worry is approaching traffic lights that start to change, do I brake heavily or boot it when you get that point where either you risk going over the white line or running an amber as it changes to red :shock:

Stop, always, so long as it is safe to do so - which means knowing what is behind you and whether or not you can stop without someone rear ending you.

cheers :)

one thing i will mention is that a mate of mine failed his mod 2 a few weeks ago as he was rolling up to a crossroad junction VERY slowly and could see that it was safe each way, literally rolling about to put his foot down but as it was clear for miles and more than safe he just went. however the junction had a stop sign, so regardless of how clear it is you must stop and put a foot down.

i know its clearly signed and somthing you might not expect to make a mistake on, but it is an easy thing to do if the coast is WELL clear however is a straight fail.

the worst thing was that he had previously been banned from driving, so had to do a double test, which obviously cost twice as much, and then failed it, passed it second time but ended up spending £320 on mod 2 alone :o and is now about to be bent over and dry bummed, with a run up. for insurance on a gixxer six he wants. ah well

Always remember the lifesavers before you make any change of direction and before signalling!

They don't want to see undue hesitation at junctions so if you constantly stopped and put your foot down or waited for a car some way in the distance they'd see that as lack of confidence. Also, you need to move away quickly from junctions/roundabouts etc once you have made the turn, if you ride too slowly that may be seen as putting yourself and/or other drivers at risk especially if turning onto a major road.

With traffic lights, just make sure you aren't going too quickly to be able to stop if they change.

If you turn into a road with no centre markings, make sure you don't cut the corner!

Observe the speed limits and if you are in a 60mph area try to get up to that speed if you are able - they are looking for confident riding.

Don't take chances or unnecessary risks - if you are unsure of anything, best not to do it. I was coming up a road with a row of parked cars on the left, and a bus coming towards me. IMO there was plenty of room between the bus and the cars and the road was pretty wide, so I went ahead - then looked behind to see the examiner had stopped! :shock: I thought I'd failed but he just gave me a minor as he said being a bus it posed a greater risk than if it had been another car and it was better to be cautious in that situation.

Remember you are being watched from the moment you get on your bike at the test centre till the moment you get off it again - so don't do anything silly at those times as you can still be failed even if you might have done a perfect test!

SIGNALS SIGNALS SIGNALS

Please remember to turn your signals off i failed a couple of weeks ago for it,

had a perfect ride and when we returned to the test centre my brain switched off as i knew id passed then went and left the damn signal on down the test centre road (no other roads on the way down) no danger to anyone FAIL :?

the other thing the examiner mentioned was when you pull over to the side of the road do not put your signal to move out on (my instructor has never said this) as the examiner said if you sit there with your signal to move out a car may stop to let you go and this would be a fail :?

My next MOD2 is Tuesday :roll: and the nerves are kicking in now already

i wish you the very best of luck

try and relax i know its easy to say but its the best policy im going to try some of that rescue remedy this time to help me chill out.

Cheers for advice, I failed my mod 1 first time round, couldn't believe it, the bike was a bag of crap and really struggled getting up to speed, got 47kph on the avoidance when I ragged the nuts of this ybr in 2nd, the managed 55kph on the retry and clipped a cone. Ah well, pissed it with no minors the 2nd time round but had made me more cautious about doin my mod 2 now.

My CBT (5/6/2011) and all my two training days have been absolutely glorious days, really really enjoyed them :) hope the weather picks up for Monday, but i dont mind riding in the rain tbh, but will make things more difficult.

Good luck with your retest mate, unlucky your first time round and I know how easy it is to switc your brain off when you think youve passed. But a lesson learnt I guess?

Just a quick one un related to mod 2, when I failed my mod 1 my instructor was talking to me like I was really upset or a child or somthing. I wasn't assed, it was my fault and I wouldn't do it next time, but still was pissed off, I followed him and another student back to the base and ragged the shit out of their YBR haha, kept dropping back and blasting it in first gear, and seeing how far I could do skids :) immature and stupid but it helped calm me down :)

the other thing the examiner mentioned was when you pull over to the side of the road do not put your signal to move out on (my instructor has never said this) as the examiner said if you sit there with your signal to move out a car may stop to let you go and this would be a fail :?

I've got my Mod 2 later today.

Can anyone else confirm that you are not supposed to signal when pulling out on the angled or hill starts?

Thanks

Can anyone else confirm that you are not supposed to signal when pulling out on the angled or hill starts?

Thanks

I am sure I was told not to signal that you are going to pull out for the same reasons as above ie car might flash to let you out but signal as you are moving out to let the person behind you (in this case the examiner) know what you are doing.

So, from stopped- check mirrors and blindspot, after you have checked the road is clear then indicate and pull out.

The only time I was told not to indicate when pulling out from a parked position was if there was a junction just ahead and on the right hand side of the road I was joining.

The instructor said it could give the impression that I intended to pull out and turn right into that junction.

It seemed slightly odd to me but he was categoric about it.

So, the default position appears to be that you should indicate but I hesitate to sound like I'm arguing with an examiner because although I passed Mod 2 first time, I wouldn't count myself as an experienced biker.

I am an experienced car driver of 30 years and I would always indicate when pulling out from a parked position so is a bike any different?

On a related subject, another student from my school who went right after me, failed Mod 2 because he did not indicate when asked to pull in and stop. No ambiguity about that.

Thanks

Never during any of my training was i told to ndicate when pulling back out after stopping. That is until, the half ride ride before my test when i went out with a different instructor who pulled me over again straight after pulling out. He told me I should have used my indicator. When I said that was the first time I had been told this, the instructor I had had the whole time during my training up to this point had never said anything, he said that as there was a car coming the other way, it was courteous to indicate so he knew what I was doing.

This left me confused for my MOD 2, and the approach I ended up taking was that I indicated once when pulling out when there was traffic coming the other way, but not for any of the other times. Examiner didn't mention it at all after the ride and there was no minors for it.

To be honest though, the instructor i had for the ride to the test centre had a car background whereas the instructor i had for most of my training had been a bike trainer for 15+ years and used to have his own school, so should have trusted my instincts that I didnt need to indicate at all as had never been mentioned in training previously.

mines this Tuesday and yes its a horrid waiting game isn't it i so wish this was over

im 42 and shouldnt be putting myself through this at my age :lol:

Good luck Throttled